6.5Creedmoor Encore

GByrd

Whelp, I got my gun put together today! Barrel came in last week and my scope today.

I'm working with an otherwise stock frame, 15" 1:9 MGM 6.5 CR barrel, pachmayr decelerator grip, and Burris 3-12 LER with Leupold base/rings.

I haven't been able to acquire powder locally so I shot factory Hornady 120grn AMax. For my first time out shooting this type of pistol I'm pretty disappointed with myself. I was shooting about 2-3" groups at 100 yards on average but only had a chance to shoot 10 or so times(only took 3 shots to get sighted in).

I've got a lot of questions so I'll start at the top and work my way down:
1. Should I try the 140s since they are available locally?
2. Whats a good way to get a solid rest in a blind where I'll have a 2x6 for a rest and no grip support?
3. Should I look into reloading or are the factory offerings pretty good for now? I'm likely going to have to order powder if I want to reload.
4. Any suggestions on what I should work on aside from practice practice?

I'm really happy with the end result. I really like the Burris LER, so thank you all so much for helping me put this together. Just need to get better at it.

Make you up some sand bags to place on your shooting rail. What I did in my stand was screw me a piece of plywood on to the shooting rail big enough to allow me to put a couple sand bags for front support and have enough room to place a small sand bag under the grip. I place my Contender on the bags and just leave it there while hunting. If you are hunting deer size game I would get some 120 gr Ballsitic tips and Varget powder if you can find it or something around it's burn rate and hand load. I shoot this bullet in my 6.5X55 Swede rifles and they kill deer awesomely. Yes practice is what you need. Learning how to shoot a pistol properly is the key. Don't try to hold down recoil, YOU CAN'T. Use a grip firm enough to not drop it and let it recoil. I doubt that it will do more than just raise the muzzle a few inches. Squeeze the trigger and make it a surprise when it goes off and you will hit what you are aiming at. :D

GByrd,
Like RT2506 said. -Doesn't have to be a death grip on the gun. Key is a consistent grip, and placement on the rest. It will be to your benefit to revise your rest in your deer stand so you can place the grip of the gun on a rest (bag) too. Practice the same way as you will be shooting while hunting, and your freezer will fill up:D

-Mike

Sounds great to me.

What do you guys carry with you in the event you run into something when you dont have a solid rest like a blind.

I hunt on 7k acres and do a lot of riding around on the atv. Shot some nice pigs while out and about, free hand rifle at 100 is nada though. What would you guys do in that situation? Shooting sticks?

Sounds great to me.

What do you guys carry with you in the event you run into something when you dont have a solid rest like a blind.

I hunt on 7k acres and do a lot of riding around on the atv. Shot some nice pigs while out and about, free hand rifle at 100 is nada though. What would you guys do in that situation? Shooting sticks?

BOGgear.com | BOG-POD® Tripods, Bipods, Monopods & Accessories

This is a good set up for field shooting when you need a portable rest that sets up quickly. You could just leave it strapped to the ATV.

-Mike

I use a Stoney Point PoleCat ConvertaPod System tripod I got from Midway USA it is product # 750-128 . It is the 16" - 38" model. I use the bipod legs which has the V rest for the forearm and then extend the third leg that attaches to one of the bipod legs, the one on the right side out as long as it will go. While sitting or kneeling I raise that third leg up and place it on the top of my right shoulder and wrap my shooting hand arm around and rest my wrist of my shooting hand and arm on this leg and hold the V and forearm with my left hand to shoot. This makes a quick and solid shooting rest for hunting that is easy to move and position and it does not weigh much at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts