6.5CM vs 6.5PRC???

Muntell

Hello everyone, first post here. I'm looking at buying a new rifle, think I've decided on a Bergara. Now I have some questions about which caliber to get. The only bolt action rifle I currently own is a .308win. As tried as true as that caliber is, I'm wanting to go with something a little more modern, and have narrowed it down to the 6.5CM or 6.5PRC. I've done some searching around for opinions and reviews and haven't found exactly the questions I want answered, or the info is dated. For example I don't reload yet, so would be buying factory ammo for now. Is the PRC anywhere as available as the CM yet? I've looked online and haven't had much luck, just didn't know if it was from the current COVID crisis that I couldn't find any PRC ammo. Another major concern I have is recoil. How do the two compare in recoil? I would mostly be using this rifle for deer, and Varmit/predator hunting. However, living in Oklahoma, an elk hunt isn't out of the question. Thanks for any input!!!

I am currently having a PRC built and also own a CM. The ammo for the PRC isn't everywhere like the CM is but I just looked at Midway before writing this and they had Hornady in stock. The recoil will be more with the PRC just because of the more powder but I expect it to be not very much more than a CM. With a good directional break it will be like shooting a 22cal. If you're in the mood for a one and done rifle the ballistics on the PRC are hard to beat, IMO. Good luck.

Sorry, but no matter what you decide you will be wrong. Or you will think you were wrong. Toss a coin. Better yet, get two coins. Toss them until one is heads and the other tails, then get both calibers. Have fun getting your own DOPE and answers for your style and your shooting. You'll probably love them both, but if you really decide on only one you can sell the other. Consider the loss you take in resale as a gun rental cost.

When you said mostly deer and varmints, and maybe might go for elk, for me the easy choice would be 6.5 cm. Like you said, many more ammo choices, cheaper shooting, less recoil resulting in (for me) better accuracy. You will probably practice more and be an excellent shot with 6.5 cm, and that well placed 6.5 cm through the lungs or heart would kill an elk just as dead as a 338.

Then (again, if you're like me) when you get a chance to elk hunt you will most likely feel better taking a bigger gun in case of a good but maybe not great shot, which happens a lot with elk. So you will think you were wrong and get a 6.5 PRC or larger.

Last edited:
Tongue in cheek, I sort of agree with zog. These decisions are somewhat difficult to make and you will usually have second thoughts. The easy way is to make a pros and cons list then compare the two that way. But if you take each on the merits of loaded ammunition alone, the 6.5 Creedmoor wins hands down. It been around longer than 10 years and the popularity of this cartridge has allowed quite a bit of ammunition to come onto the market.

Deer and antelope are easy, there's plenty to choose from. Elk can be a little different especially if you are trying for longer shots. But the 143 and 147 grain bullets will harvest elk when you practice field shooting to increase your confidence.

For elk alone, I suggest that you call Josh at Copper Creek Cartridge Company:

https://coppercreekcartridgeco.com/product/6-5-creedmoor-156gr-berger-eol-elite-hunter/

This is the link to his custom load for the newer Berger 156 gr. Elite Hunter bullet. I've shot this bullet out to 1,000 yards with excellent results. You will have more than enough energy at 700 yards in the Creedmoor to put an elk down with authority. Discuss it with Josh and see what he has to say.

This bullet is also loaded in the new Berger Ammunition:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Berger-Ma...r-156gr-EOL-Elite-Hunter-Box-of-20-31070.aspx

The trick will be if Bergara has the proper twist rate in the barrel for the Creedmoor. Apparently their barrels have a 1:8" twist rate. This will stabilize the 156 gr. but you will lose a little BC with this twist rate. The Berger calculator has this at zero elevation and 59 degrees F. It recommends a 1:7.75" twist for maximum BC.

Enjoy the process!:)

Last edited:
High volume shooting? 6.5CM
Hunting? 6.5PRC
For hunting, why leave 200fps on the table?
Recoil isn't much more with a PRC. And ammo choices will be picking up.
Agree. With all this. I have 3 creedmoors and 1 6.5 prc. Wish i had know the prc was coming out. On the recoil.....its not the kind of recoil that hurts. I have the Savage tactical in prc now and I now my wife could shoot it.

I don't own either. There. I said it. But I do keep a keen eye out for modern developments and my next rifle, whenever that may be.

For whatever reason, the 6.5 caliber is hot. Best I can tell, it's one of the best compromises between killing power and recoil. That's one good thing.

And bullet manufacturers are, at this time in history, giving us all a lot of good choices. So are makers of loaded ammo. That's two.

And all these technological improvements seem to be heading towards "Given modern bullet design and modern powders, you don't need as fat a bullet as your Dad and Granddad used to in order to inflict the same damage."

So. In this modern, updated, world...
same damage, less recoil.
Or, same damage, less drop/wind drift.
Ot, more damage, same recoil

So, your two 6.5 mm choices here are both excellent.

If you need to find ammo in every town at any time and can't afford to lay in a few hundred rounds ahead of time until the next opportunity to buy, I'd go with the CM. It might also be a little cheaper per round.

For the external ballistics, I'd way, WAY, prefer the PRC.

Today, pandemic and all, it's as simple as going to Midway to order ammo And have it delivered to your door. It is in stock as I write now. But if you are going on an African safari and might need to be able to acquire rounds overseas, there are better choices than either.

And if you don't want to put up with much recoil, and there's no shame, nay, advantages in that; then go for the CM and be happy.

Both seem like great cartridges to me. The CM was designed for short actions and low recoil. The PRC won't fit in a short action but will deliver more velocity and more powerful external ballistics, at the price of a little more recoil and a SLIGHTLY heavier rifle ( which will SLIGHTLY tame that extra recoil). Given this understanding, me, I'd lean towards the PRC. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Get both!!!! I have 3 6.5 rifles now. Two Creedmoors and a PRC. A Savage 10 BA in 6.5cm and two Browning X Bolt 26" guns in Creed and PRC.

The X Bolts weigh about the same and recoil with the PRC is just a little bit more. Closer to a 308 but still not bad at all. With a brake or supressor it's still light IMO.

The Creed is so easy to shoot and load for it's like an easy button.

The PRC seems to be very similar and has that extra 200fps horsepower.

If you plan to shoot at larger game at longer ranges then the PRC has that extra energy.

Honestly the biggest drawback to the PRC in a short action is that some bullets will have too much jump to the rifling if you load to mag length.

Both cartridges can be really accurate with very little effort.

The attached image is my Browning 6.5 Creed at 300yds with 147eldm and RL17. It readily shoots under .5moa and that group was under .4

Attachments

• 20200208_163812.jpg
    20200208_163812.jpg
    926.4 KB · Views: 362
I am from Oklahoma also and have hunted with 6.5CM for a little over 3 years years. At my ranch sometimes its a very close shot and sometimes it is over 500yds. I hunt coyotes, deer, & pigs. The 6.5CM is an excellent and very accurate round but, at distance I have lost a couple of animals that ran off my land or quit leaving a blood trail. I started using the 6.5PRC this year and I will never o back to the CM. The PRC hits harder and has more initial shock value. In less than ideal hunting situations the PRC is more forgiving. Like the gentleman said above, for target and shooting lots of rounds CM gets the nod. For hunting, PRC to me is superior.

If you haven't joined the Bergara Groups on FaceBook, do so. There are a lot of supporters on there and it will take a lot of reading on your part. Bergara's are a very nice rifle but their QC runs hot and cold. There may be better options out there that you will be happy with.

Hello everyone, first post here. I'm looking at buying a new rifle, think I've decided on a Bergara. Now I have some questions about which caliber to get. The only bolt action rifle I currently own is a .308win. As tried as true as that caliber is, I'm wanting to go with something a little more modern, and have narrowed it down to the 6.5CM or 6.5PRC. I've done some searching around for opinions and reviews and haven't found exactly the questions I want answered, or the info is dated. For example I don't reload yet, so would be buying factory ammo for now. Is the PRC anywhere as available as the CM yet? I've looked online and haven't had much luck, just didn't know if it was from the current COVID crisis that I couldn't find any PRC ammo. Another major concern I have is recoil. How do the two compare in recoil? I would mostly be using this rifle for deer, and Varmit/predator hunting. However, living in Oklahoma, an elk hunt isn't out of the question. Thanks for any input!!!

There is a lot of good advice here. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have both and love both but I lean towards the PRC for hunting just because it packs a little more wallop than the Creedmoor does. With that being said many an elk has fallen to the 6.5 Creedmoor already so I really don't think that should be a concern either. A well placed shot from either will get the job done. I live in West Central Montana and have no issues getting factory ammo for either one locally and it seem most of the large retailers like Cabela's, Bass Pro, Graf and Sons, Midway USA etc. have it listed as in stock. Yes there is a little more recoil from the PRC but in a hunting situation you would never feel it and as several have posted get a good brake on it and you will never know the difference between the two calibers as far as recoil goes. Good luck with your quest and let us know what you decide.

I have done up 6 of the PRC up here and the ammo is some what easy to find even here in Alaska but only the Hornady hunter and match ammo, most likely there will be others soon and will be as easy to find up here the PRC for hunting

I was debating the same thing recently, when purchasing a Bergara B14 Ridge Wilderness model. I have a 6.5CM for target and "tactical" shooting, but have not been that impressed with what I have seen with 6.5CM and .260 Rem when it comes to dropping medium to large game at longer distances. That pushed me to look at the 6.5 PRC, but there are really only two loads available, and out here in Kalifornia we have to use lead free ammo when hunting. I don't have the time to reload, so I am stuck with factory offerings. In my research regarding the tangible differences between the two 6.5's I came across this long Range Pursuit podcast which I thought was interesting and informative.

EP 33: Bucking Wind - The Ballistic Effects of Wind on Bullet and Cartridge Choices

Ultimately pushed me to look more at the 7mm, which has a huge selection of factory loadings. Food for thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.