6.5CM or .308 for Bull Elk

the blur

Drew a 16a tag. Trophy Elk unit. Big monster bulls.

I'm leaning towards my 6.5cm. Only because it's sub MOA out to 400 yds. I just love shooting it. 140 gr Accubonds ragged holes at 200 yards.

My .308 is accurate, but nothing like my creedmoor. TTSX 168 would be the ammo of choice. It groups well, but not ragged holes. I'm confident to 200 yards.

6.5creed 140 accubonds
or
.308 TTSX 168's.

What say you ?

Are you going solo or guide. If Guided I'd talk to your guide on cartridge selection. Otherwise I'd use the 308 if it was Moa gun out to 400 yards.
with that I don't half no experience with the 6.5 on elk but shot my share of elk with the 308 and they are tough animals.

"Big monster trophy bull elk" as you have described would make me consider a cartridge heavier than either of your choices but that's just me. I'd be looking at any of the various 300mags.
I missed the monster elk part. If this is an elk of a lifetime type deal I'm getting some more fire power for sure.

Either round is more than plenty, zero need for more horse power for what you described. I'd go with ever your more comfy and intimate with. Stick a good bullet in a good place and good things will happen!

16a is a trophy unit. I just applied because I knew I'd never draw a tag. And as dumb luck has it.... I drew. These tags auction off for $50,000.

Drew a 16a tag. Trophy Elk unit. Big monster bulls.

I'm leaning towards my 6.5cm. Only because it's sub MOA out to 400 yds. I just love shooting it. 140 gr Accubonds ragged holes at 200 yards.

My .308 is accurate, but nothing like my creedmoor. TTSX 168 would be the ammo of choice. It groups well, but not ragged holes. I'm confident to 200 yards.

6.5creed 140 accubonds
or
.308 TTSX 168's.

What say you ?
308 bulls are big lots if elk got crippled from 6.5 creedmore and lot from inaccurate placing shots to far away

I've seen a pile of elk dropped like a hammer with a 6.5 and 143's. Zero issue using one. My neighbor has killed 11 with a creed and one was a monster 370 class bull. All were 1 shot kills. I've had several hunters use a creed and haven't lost one yet.

Confidence and practice are key. If the 6.5 has both you should have no issue with a premium bullet placed well at a reasonable range.

I'd rather a good hit with the 6.5 than a miss with a 300 you only had two boxes and two months to practice on.