6.5CM or .308 for Bull Elk

"Big monster trophy bull elk" as you have described would make me consider a cartridge heavier than either of your choices but that's just me. I'd be looking at any of the various 300mags.
People ask me what rifle should I bring out west for an Elk hunt? My answer is, what rifle do you use on game back home, Bring it, if you are use to shooting that rifle then you will not have to learn to flinch on a bigger rifle.
.243? Bring it, .30-30? Bring it, .257Roberts? Bring it. Just shoot with in your sure hit range with the caliber being used. Hunting Elk with a .30-30 or .243 is common where I live and accounts for a lot of filled Elk and Moose tags every year!

People ask me what rifle should I bring out west for an Elk hunt? My answer is, what rifle do you use on game back home, Bring it, if you are use to shooting that rifle then you will not have to learn to flinch on a bigger rifle.
.243? Bring it, .30-30? Bring it, .257Roberts? Bring it. Just shoot with in your sure hit range with the caliber being used. Hunting Elk with a .30-30 or .243 is common where I live and accounts for a lot of filled Elk and Moose tags every year!
.243 is my go to deer rifle. Dead every time. Not sure why anyone uses a .30-06 for deer, or 7 mag.

Explain that one please. My 1 moose died from my 6.5 accubond, and the bullet did bounce around in the lungs, never exited.
What bullet weight, velocity, and range and what angle was the moose when you hit him? Did you hit or clip any bones? It may have come down to the individual animal with that individual bullet. I assume you killed that Moose?

What bullet weight, velocity, and range and what angle was the moose when you hit him? Did you hit or clip any bones? It may have come down to the individual animal with that individual bullet. I assume you killed that Moose?
140 Gr 6.5 accubond. Through the ribs, definitely clipped a rib, as I saw fragment marks across 3 ribs. and lodged in the other side of the hide.

As a point of reference, I use a 300 WM for elk hunting because a shot that is not perfect can still anchor the elk and let me have a humane kill. I would run your 308 with a good elk bullet (I use 180 gr partitions) rather than your 6.5. Either of your rifles will work well with a perfect shot, but the 308 gives you more room to make a mistake.

308. We shot a monster 2 yrs ago, used a 338 then. I shot a bull 3 yrs ago with a 7mm; 400 yds never took a step.

Shot plenty of cow with a 308 before moving to 338. All really depends on shot placement. Ps always wanna be aware of how far ya gotta hike the quarters back though; terrain etc. We usually have 5-6 guys to help on elk hunts in Nv. Been pretty lucky thus far

308. We shot a monster 2 yrs ago, used a 338 then. I shot a bull 3 yrs ago with a 7mm; 400 yds never took a step.

Shot plenty of cow with a 308 before moving to 338. All really depends on shot placement. Ps always wanna be aware of how far ya gotta hike the quarters back though; terrain etc. We usually have 5-6 guys to help on elk hunts in Nv. Been pretty lucky thus far

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1629218782634.jpg
    FB_IMG_1629218782634.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 66
I'm going for Caribou next month. The guide told me 6.5CM is plenty. Apparently Caribou are not tough animals.

Yeah for C-bou if I ever went again I'd probably just use my 22/250...:)

I'd feel good to go to 400 yards with the combo.