6.5CM and 6.5x284.

shooters

Ive read, and read some more. Just looking for a little more advice. I currently have (wife's gun) a 6.5CM Savage Lady hunter with no experience behind it yet. Haven't even shot it. And I have a Savage 6.5x284 that has a moderate build. (Lilja barrel, Jewel Trigger, McMillan Stock etc). I'm considering selling the 6.5x284 to fund a 6.5CM. Not sure why I have an interest in the CM, but it's appealing to me. Use would only be for deer, antelope and calling dogs. Live here in Montana so distance is a factor. I love to shoot and do not care much for the idea of a short barrel life on a 6.5x284. Also, the 284 seems a little picky when reloading. (??) I guess my questions would be is dropping down to a CM going to be less beneficial in terminal performance, more affected by wind, and less of an all around caliber for hunting? And then if going that route, would a .243 be the better option once again? Thanks.

The cm is great little round but if you already have the 6.5*284 I'd just use it. It will use a barrel faster but also has more performance. IMO use the barrel up and swap it when it's done

6.5-.284 Norma is light on recoil, and you gain about 150fps (or more) over the 6.5CM. For a hunting rifle, to me anyway, it is a no-brainer to keep the 6.5-.284. Shoot it until it is done, then consider a swap of barrels.

Like trading an SS Camaro for a Volt for your weekend fun car....sure, you will get better milage.....but that is not what it is built for.

Plus, you can always load a 6.5-.284 DOWN to 6.5CM velocities, but not vice versa.

I say shoot out the 6.5x284 barrel and then rebarrel to 6.5x284! I love them .

I've recently become a fan of the Carbon barrels (Proof) and am leery of putting on a 6.5x284 and replacing a $1k barrel every other year. That's why I'm interested in the Creedmoor

Agree with all of the above. But starting to sound like you need a 6.5 CM for a practice/plinker and a superbly accurate 6.5x284 hunting rifle with a proof barrel that gets used as a tool more than a toy.

Yup. I think your right. I was just trying to keep the cost down

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.