6.506 vs 280 AI using 140 gr bullets

Better caliber for long range/ all around hunting using 140 gr bullet

• 6.5-06 AI

Votes: 129 41.3%
  • 280 AI

Votes: 183 58.7%

• Total voters
The newer powders do definitely make a difference in the performance of many cartridges. Wildrose is correct in saying it won't come close to the 26 Nosler. The problem I see with the Nosler is, a lot of .264 WM's have gone south with considerably less than 1000 rounds through them and the Nosler holds quite a bit more powder than the WM. For someone who wants a screamer but doesn't shoot a lot, or their dads name is "Krieger", it would be a good choice........Rich

The newer powders do definitely make a difference in the performance of many cartridges. Wildrose is correct in saying it won't come close to the 26 Nosler. The problem I see with the Nosler is, a lot of .264 WM's have gone south with considerably less than 1000 rounds through them and the Nosler holds quite a bit more powder than the WM. For someone who wants a screamer but doesn't shoot a lot, or their dads name is "Krieger", it would be a good choice........Rich
There are no free rides in any caliber.

If you want a screamer you pay for it in comparably shorter barrel life, added recoil, and added muzzle blast vs lower velocity cartridges of the same caliber.

With any of the high velocity calibers you can get pretty good barrel life IF you don't shoot it hot. You won't get as good a life out of them as you will with a lower velocity round you shoot the same way though.

It's the trade off we make to have the performance we want.

There are no free rides in any caliber.

If you want a screamer you pay for it in comparably shorter barrel life, added recoil, and added muzzle blast vs lower velocity cartridges of the same caliber.

With any of the high velocity calibers you can get pretty good barrel life IF you don't shoot it hot. You won't get as good a life out of them as you will with a lower velocity round you shoot the same way though.

It's the trade off we make to have the performance we want.

Agree with that and there is nothing wrong with it........Rich

I have a Tikka M695 in 6.5x65RWS. It out performs the 6.5-06, 6.5-284, 264 WM and whatever 6.5mm there is.
I have had this rifle for 2 years now, and I have shot 50 deer with it, using the 140 grs Nosler Accubond. I have pushed this bullet out of the barrel at 980 m/sek at most. This was a real HOT load, and is not recomended, my average speed is 960 m/sek. All the deer I have shot, went down instantly, they never walked an inch.

I am currently using a Hart barrel, 1:9 twist and 68 cm long. I will change it, and try a S&L fluted barre, 1:8 twist, and 74 cm long. I use a Hausken Silencer when i hunt, and a muzzle break for practise. If I use the silencer, I get a lot of mirage, and that is a pain, when shooting long range.

This cartridge is supersonic beyond 1200 meters, and would be a great LR option.
Just my 2 cents :)

DSC00691.jpg

DSC00603.jpg

Three shot group at 200 meters
DSC00602-1.jpg
I am interested in getting rid of my 7 Rem Mag and 260 Rem and building a Switch Barrel 280 RCBS 30° Imp and
6.5-280 RCBS 30° Imp. I looked at the 6.5 x 65 RWS but have been unable to get any case dimensions. I use cartridges with 30° shoulders for easy feeding in a gas gun and less case growth. Is it possible you could tell me where I could find dimensional data on the 6.5 x 65 RWS ? Lapua doesn't make 270 win and I was thinking of necking that up and down for my switch barrel cases. RWS does make 270 win cases, and RWS are very strong cases. Thank you in advance for a reply.

I am interested in getting rid of my 7 Rem Mag and 260 Rem and building a Switch Barrel 280 RCBS 30° Imp and
6.5-280 RCBS 30° Imp. I looked at the 6.5 x 65 RWS but have been unable to get any case dimensions. I use cartridges with 30° shoulders for easy feeding in a gas gun and less case growth. Is it possible you could tell me where I could find dimensional data on the 6.5 x 65 RWS ? Lapua doesn't make 270 win and I was thinking of necking that up and down for my switch barrel cases. RWS does make 270 win cases, and RWS are very strong cases. Thank you in advance for a reply.
Use the RWS 270 not 280
The 270 has thicker neck wall by .002". The 6.5 x 55 will be way to short. I use the 270 RWS for my 280 Sherman which is similar to yours. Better yet, just build a Sherman and get better performance!

Use the RWS 270 not 280
The 270 has thicker neck wall by .002". The 6.5 x 55 will be way to short. I use the 270 RWS for my 280 Sherman which is similar to yours. Better yet, just build a Sherman and get better performance!
I talked to you about the Sherman, I would prefer not to go with such a straight wall and keep the .454" diameter at the shoulder. I would like to retain the 30° shoulder of the original Fred Huntington design. I had no intention of using anything but the 270 Win. , in a RWS case for necking up to 280. I did find the metric dimensions of the 6.5 x 65 RWS and it's neck length is only .256" and has a 20° 16.5' shoulder. .432"diameter @ shoulder. I just don't care for the design and I don't want to modify it. RWS uses a lot of steps in their process to make great brass. Thanks for your help, Rich. Again, your knowledge has been a blessing. I was lucky to find CIP European Standards. Quite a knowledge base there, if you like dividing
all of their metric dimensions by 25.4. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.