Better caliber for long range/ all around hunting using 140 gr bullet

• 6.5-06 AI

Votes: 129 41.3%
  • 280 AI

Votes: 183 58.7%

• Total voters
And one more very good calibers to look at is the 270 wsm with 130 grainers
and the 270AI
If you want speed go with a 25-06AI with 87 grainers at 3920 fps.
it's only 60 fps slower than the 257 weatherby and does it with 10 grains less powder.

The BCs of the 6.5mm and 7mm are waaay better than the 257 and 270.

I like the gentle way you mentioned a 2% gain and the equal pressure issue:D Barrel length of course has a lot to do with the whole equation as you know. To say that an A.I. is 400' better than a std. would take some serious differences in pressure and barrel length! I'm not surprised that you can get 3340 with your Gibbs. My Sherman case holds just a fuzz more than the Gibbs and I can exceed 3200' with a 26" barrel. As you mentioned, that's pushing it. What is your powder and charge with that particular load? I can top 3200' with retumbo 65 gr. RL22 61 gr. and RL25 64 gr.......Rich

61 gr re-22/fed210/140 berger gets me 3340 fps with a fast lot of re-22, a slow lot# gets me 3200'ish so I'm goin with either retumbo or H-1000 whichever the rifle likes best.
RR

6.5-06 is a phenominal round! I have two of them and they seem to be the go to gun every hunting trip. I shoot the 140 JLK/Berger at 3080. Don't know who will be doing your smith work but if your not set on someone already give Trevor Rosencranse with Cloud Peak Gunworks a try. He has built both of mine and several others that all shoot .5 moa or less. Website is Cloudpeakgunworks.com

th_newgun016.jpg

This is my 6.5-06 on a mauser and it shoots lights out into the .3s and tighter. I have a schneider barrel and the stock is home made, but balistically I could not be happier. I get a solid 3050 with 140,s now that I backed down my loading. I use IMR and or H4350 powders and love the fact that brass is everywere since you can make it out of anything from 30-06 to 25-06 which the later is the esiest due to the fact you do not have to size them prior to loading. just seat your bullet. I have not shot the 6.5-284 but David Tubb believes they are one in the same, and I would tend to agree.

I do not have the AI and I am not sure the gains to be made are that much, but hay more power to you.

M

th_newgun016.jpg

This is my 6.5-06 on a mauser and it shoots lights out into the .3s and tighter. I have a schneider barrel and the stock is home made, but balistically I could not be happier. I get a solid 3050 with 140,s now that I backed down my loading. I use IMR and or H4350 powders and love the fact that brass is everywere since you can make it out of anything from 30-06 to 25-06 which the later is the esiest due to the fact you do not have to size them prior to loading. just seat your bullet. I have not shot the 6.5-284 but David Tubb believes they are one in the same, and I would tend to agree.

I do not have the AI and I am not sure the gains to be made are that much, but hay more power to you.

M

Good post M! what length is your barrel........Rich

This rifle has a 23 inch tube that has a modified varmint taper, it is just a bit steeper than what one would call normal due to the short length. as you can see I set the taper up to match the bell of the scope. I have a desire to get tubbs speed lock and pin to try to shorten the lock time, and then I would like to add a modern bolt safety, but the gun is still out being run through its paces by a friend.

Marc
Check out this early 6.5-55 you may like it better.
project012.jpg

It shot to .5 but I had a client that just had to have it. It should be shooting Quantico now but I do not know for shure.
I loved that little 96.

I will have to get my load book out tonight, but for some reason 49 grains sticks out but do not do a thing untill I confirm this. I used noslers book to start with and did nothing special from there. I do like winchester 25-06 nicle plated brass for this rifle though, mostly becouse it just looks so **** cool with the burger moly bullets. I also think that the P5 1-8 is the reason for the speed. I have shot a couple of Schneider barrels now with this p5 rifling and they are shooting 150 to 200 fps faster than I was expecting. I have that 338 Lapua build that is doing the same thing. it shoots to 2887 with the 300smk and I have not even pushed it yet. that is just a book load of 90.5 of R-25 and Federal primers, it throughs 265s at 3250 without trying very hard either.

I really think that the barel is the couse not something else.

Marc

Load data I use:

You must have all your poop right to get things this hot, like new brass, new brass and new brass. OK so just watch your brass. I like Federal primers, non magnums.

Do not do this right out the gate, standerd reloading disclaimers apply.

H4350 48.5 gr under a 140 sierra and or burger. 3067fps

at 50 grains you get to 3135, but again this is not taken lightly.

start at 46.5 and go up from there.

this is the best load that I can make with my 6.5-06
I love to shoot 107smks at 3606 with 54 gr of h4350, and it loves to eat coyotes.

Marc

I voted for the .280AI for a couple of reasons, #1 it will shoot the 140grn bullets at near the same BC but affords you the flexibility to go up to 160grn pills and match or beat the BC of the 6.5/140s. I'm waiting for enough disposable income to convert a Rem 721 to this caliber. #2 is I've got a 6.5x55 Match on a Mauser '98 action that I just completed and it would seem redundant now to add another 6.5 long action to my stable. BTW the Mauser puts 140grn Bergers into groups at .38" with 46.7grns of R22 at around 2800fps. Don't know how much more velocity I could add if I changed it to a AI?

3 years ago i had a custom rifle built.
i too was on the fence between the 2 calibers.

i chose the 280ai for several reasons.
1st was no matter what you have to make 6.5-06 cases. 280ai cases and ammo are available, and most important, if you were to travel and your ammo didn't make it, one could shoot regular factory loaded 280 ammo and still enjoy your trip.

the bc's are the same but different depending on which bullet type and weight you choose.

but, at normal shooting ranges, does it really make that big off a difference ?

nope, maybe, maybe, an inch or 2 at the very most ?
we all shake more than that when we get excited.

here's mine.

it is in a laminated stock at present and will be my main hunting stock. i am having an english walnut stock made for it as i type.

benchmark barrels did the blueprinting, and made the barrel. they did an excellent job chambering and even made a stoney point oal gauge casing made from a test fired casing for me.

it did kill a cow elk at just shy of 300 yards 2 seasons ago, launching a 140 grain barnes ttsx, at just over 3100 fps.
i also just got done fireforming some nickle plated 280 cases. they turned out perfect.
a2b1b0c7.jpg

331d1459.jpg

baf1fbc1.jpg

4106cfea.jpg

i also have a 264wm, but still working on loads for it.
so far it seems to like 130 accubonds.

i built a 6.5-280ack last summer on a sako l61r action. mcmillan edge stock. lothar walther barrel(#4contour). it shoots in the .5s with 120gr barnes ttsx and about the same w 120gr nosler bts. i chrono'd the barnes at just over 3400fps(25.4" barrel). im very happy w it but i am ordering a slightly lighter contour, fluted broughton. the l.w. is ok in the accuracy dept but heavier than i wanted(i wanted it ready to go by the fall and didnt have time to wait for a broughton. and i already had the l.w. blank...) and fouls faster than id prefer. topped 1st w a bushnell 4200 2.5-10 and now a leupold vx-L 4.5-14. oh, and i use the .280ack nosler brass. havent had the primer probs mentioned earlier in the thread, and my loads are warm. ive used the brass 7x now...using the redding 280ai bushing neck sizer, 280ai body sizer, and had a custom seater made frm redding.

I have a Tikka M695 in 6.5x65RWS. It out performs the 6.5-06, 6.5-284, 264 WM and whatever 6.5mm there is.
I have had this rifle for 2 years now, and I have shot 50 deer with it, using the 140 grs Nosler Accubond. I have pushed this bullet out of the barrel at 980 m/sek at most. This was a real HOT load, and is not recomended, my average speed is 960 m/sek. All the deer I have shot, went down instantly, they never walked an inch.

I am currently using a Hart barrel, 1:9 twist and 68 cm long. I will change it, and try a S&L fluted barre, 1:8 twist, and 74 cm long. I use a Hausken Silencer when i hunt, and a muzzle break for practise. If I use the silencer, I get a lot of mirage, and that is a pain, when shooting long range.

This cartridge is supersonic beyond 1200 meters, and would be a great LR option.
Just my 2 cents :)

DSC00691.jpg

DSC00603.jpg

Three shot group at 200 meters
DSC00602-1.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.