6.506 vs 280 AI using 140 gr bullets

Better caliber for long range/ all around hunting using 140 gr bullet

• 6.5-06 AI

Votes: 129 41.3%
  • 280 AI

Votes: 183 58.7%

• Total voters
Ever consider installing a muzzle brake?
You can get a removable one.
When hunting - remove it.
All other shooting keep it on.
Yes, we're all wearing our "ears" around him!

My shooting buddy has a 6.5 Creedmoor w/a muzzle brake.
Great combo.

Phil

I am in the same boat as you. I wanted a rifle to be used for long range varmint hunting and also big enough for elk. After all of the comparison I decided to go with the 7 WSM. It will do everything that the 280 AI will do (and maybe a little more) and the brass/dies are cheaper and don't have to be fire formed.

Just my opinion, and maybe another way to look at tackling your project.:)

I also have a 270 WSM (Browning A-Bolt) for hunting medium to larger game. I have used it on deer & Elk.
I have a TiKKA Lite in 243 for Antelope & coyote.

The the new 6mmBR Sav 12 for varmints & targets, as well as a 22-250 & a 20VT.
Going squirrel hunting in No. Cal in April & to AZ in June for PD's.

phil

I had a .280AI built last year, to say i am impressed is an understatement.
Out of a 24" barrel i can launch 140 grain Accubonds at 3150fps and the 160's at just under 3000fps accuracy is consistently 1/4MOA at 100yds and in good conditions it has shot just over 1/4MOA at 600yds.
I don't have any experiance with the 6.5 but can say that you should get better barrel life out of the .280AI alswell as not having to fireform for it as
Nosler now makes .280AI brass. Although it has received mixed reviews i have been very happy with it all i do is clean up the necks and its good to go i am getting run out of 1-2 thou. from loaded rounds.
As you can probably tell I really like the .280AI

don't have a 6.5/06 AI but I shoot a 6.5 Gibbs, its like this the 280 AI starts with a bit more velocity but check the BC's in the 140 gr weight, the .284 runs just under .5, the 6.5 averages just over .6.
I use a 270 win case, I run .264 berger 140's at 3340 fps from a 29.5" barrel, its an awesome caliber!
RR

If you choose to limit the comparison to 140 grain bullets I would go with the 6.5 -06. The 6.5 bullets shine at that weight and the 7mms are at their best at 150+ grains. I never ran the ballistics but I would not be surprised if some of the 150 and 160+ grain 7mms actually shoot flatter than the 140 grain7mms.

don't have a 6.5/06 AI but I shoot a 6.5 Gibbs, its like this the 280 AI starts with a bit more velocity but check the BC's in the 140 gr weight, the .284 runs just under .5, the 6.5 averages just over .6.
I use a 270 win case, I run .264 berger 140's at 3340 fps from a 29.5" barrel, its an awesome caliber!
RR

You are correct, it is an awesome caliber! I have one that I feel is a tad better. It's a 6.5 Sherman that holds about 1 gr. more than the Gibbs and has a far better neck (.300") It has the greatest case capacity you can get in an '06 style case (76.5 grs.) It's a thumper and super accurate. I'm currently building a .300 on the same case and would really like to build a .280 in the future. If anybody is interested in doing one, let me know.......Rich:D

Using Nosler 280AI brass necked down to 6.5 was what I was thinking and would make things really simple but I hear the Nosler brass doesn't hold primers well so then that brings us back to brass quality and Lapua already makes 6.5-284 and 06 brass which is second to none.

Anyone see the load work up Whitley did with the 6.5-284 using RL17 and 140's? He was getting almost 3200FPS. Reading that is kinda steering me back to the 6.5-284

Nosler brass is okay until you use a high pressure load. The primer pockets then loosen to a point they don't hold a primer. If you use loads within spec they do fine. Just don't go nuts trying to push the limits of the caliber.

Tank

Going nuts with pressures is not a good path for the reloader, but I do wonder what this means in regards to case life with "warm" but safe loads?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.