6,5 x 64 Reb

Varberger757

I'd like to take the opportunity presenting another European high performance 6,5, the 6,5x64 Reb. Reb's 6,5x64 uses the 270W (30-03) as parent case with the big advantage that it fits all standard actions. The shoulder got a very modern design of 40* with the gain of both much more powder capacity and a significantly longer neck of 10mm, perfectly suited for the seating of long and heavy bullets. Even the longest bullets never overstep the standardized max. COAL of 84mm. The 6,5x64 Reb stabilizes bullets from 87gr – 160gr without any issues. Furthermore, all the barrels are especially (8mm of length) throated for performance – enhanced use of new type secant- and monolithic bullets. A 156gr Norma Oryx bullet will be easily accelerated to a MV of 2887fps, and operating far away from max. pressure! If someone thinks about upgrading his/her 6,5x55 or 6,5x57 the 6,5x64 Reb is the way to go IMHO. Easily chambered, very modern and with high potential. RCBS has dies available.
Werner Reb , only in German. On this site, you may also find ballistic tables as word.doc. You'll find other information on the net in English as well. Google is your friend. :)

Last edited:
It is very close to .264 Win mag in some loads, from a standard case. in that aspect it gives very much . Also the 5 shot magazine is coming quite handy if one need it or if one have detachable magazine of the AI type for long range use. It can give much punch in several loads .

For match a the Amaz wold be hard to beat. Accubond too would be nice, but a mono needle tip would be something out of the ordinary in it .

It's not only close to the .264 Mag, but takes almost as much powder as the huge 6,5x68 and is still standard. The superb new styled case geometry of the venerable .270W with its 40* shoulders makes it possible. And the best is that brass isn't a problem at all. Just take some .270W brass and then put it through a 6,5x64 Reb FL - die, done. After the first shooting you've got some "delicious" and perfectly fire-formed cases. :D
I haven't tested the new Swiss RS - powders yet which should be absolutely unique performance wise. They will be rocket fuel to all kinds of centerfire cartridges, but especially for the magnums and almost - magnums. Can't wait testing them.
A good friend of mine uses monolithic 100gr AERO -bullets (Austrian). He runs them at 1060 m/s or 3477,7 fps (forgot about how much (ca. 60gr?) and which type of powder he uses). Impressive for a non magnum.

A 6.5mm cartridge based on the 270 Winchester with 40 degree shoulders would be nearly identical to the 6.5-06 Ackley wildcat cartridge that is quite popular on this side of the water. I was going to go that route for my next build but have decided to go with the 6.5-284 instead..........I think...........haven't ordered the reamer yet so my options are still open.

I'd like to take the opportunity presenting another European high performance 6,5, the 6,5x64 Reb. Reb's 6,5x64 uses the 270W (30-03) as parent case with the big advantage that it fits all standard actions. The shoulder got a very modern design of 40* with the gain of both much more powder capacity and a significantly longer neck of 10mm, perfectly suited for the seating of long and heavy bullets. Even the longest bullets never overstep the standardized max. COAL of 84mm. The 6,5x64 Reb stabilizes bullets from 87gr – 160gr without any issues. Furthermore, all the barrels are especially (8mm of length) throated for performance – enhanced use of new type secant- and monolithic bullets. A 156gr Norma Oryx bullet will be easily accelerated to a MV of 2887fps, and operating far away from max. pressure! If someone thinks about upgrading his/her 6,5x55 or 6,5x57 the 6,5x64 Reb is the way to go IMHO. Easily chambered, very modern and with high potential. RCBS has dies available.
Werner Reb , only in German. On this site, you may also find ballistic tables as word.doc. You'll find other information on the net in English as well. Google is your friend. :)

I haven't seen the specs on this design but the Sherman case is already here and is easily formed with high quality Norma brass. The 160 Matrix will exceed 3100', probably 3150', and with a 26" barrel. It has significantly more capacity than the A.I. Dies and reamers are available upon request. The case performs equally as well in 270, 280, and I had a 300 version that reached 3150' with 190 grain bullets in a 28" barrel.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.