6.5 x 284 h4821sc 51 gr. 140vdl. velocity?

I have been shooting a 6.5 X284 for over three years I bought Horndy brass and at the time the net was the only published loads and the loads were from people who were winning matches I have 26' barrell on a 98 mauser and the gun shoot far better than i ever dreamed I could. I started with 50 grains 4831sc the 1000 yards boys said 51 1/2 I now Load 52 grains I have loaded my first 50 pieces of Horndy brass at least 5 times only only 5 are rejected on #6 round no sings of pressure yet As for manual their printing is like the advertizing for the 284 win or other writers pets not what the round is capble of and after all the world spines around a 7.62x51 case

JFYI, If I remember correctly the Berger manual lists 51g of H4831 as max for the 140vld in the 6.5-284 Norma(not 6.5-284Win.). The Win version has a shorter coal. so it takes less powder to get pressure.

In some rifles you might be able to get a little more...

JFYI, If I remember correctly the Berger manual lists 51g of H4831 as max for the 140vld in the 6.5-284 Norma(not 6.5-284Win.). The Win version has a shorter coal. so it takes less powder to get pressure.

In some rifles you might be able to get a little more...

In both my rifles I can use 53 gr. of H4831sc without pressure signs if I seat .075" off the lands. This is my accuracy node. If you load at or near the lands you can see pressure signs. Berger is probably right to lean on the safe side.

FYI... I went through the same issue with the 4831SC. I shot or loaded 51.5grns of the 4831sc. No pressure issues but only got 2778 to 2790fps on this load. At 52grns i was starting to see sign of pressure issues. bolt was getting tight and I have a few lapua brass with some loose primer pockets. not to bad but definatlly looser than the others. Also let me say I have a 24inch barrel. I was chacing the more volicity thing and relized I'm probally not going to get the 3000fps out of this gun. Well if its over loaded it will but I dont want to burn the barrel out that fast and destroy expensive brass. I'm now loading hybrid 100V with what is recommended from hodgens web site (49grns). Good news is my volicity picked up to 2844fps and for 10 shots of testing I had a ES of 10fps. 2844 was the middle average if i am looking at this right. I had a few that were low end of 2838 to high end of 2848 but i had 3 duplicates at 2844 and a couple at 2843 and 2845. The group got a little tighter as well. I shot sub MOA goups on this load out to 600yrds. I know everyone wants to see pics of the target but i was about 4 inch group at 600yrds. I'm right under a half inch at 100 and about a .6 to .7 at 200. so this is going to be my load for my gun now. Not knocking the 4831sc because I this its a great powder but I've searched and review and spent many of nights reading post and you really need about a 28 inch barrel with normal loading on the 6.5 to get the 140 bullets up to or past the 3000fps mark. I have shot some HSM berger loaded ammo and it showed pressure signs in my rifle. The bolt was tight when tring to unchanber the spent round. They were chrono'ed at 3009fps. I pulled one apart and it appears to have 2 types of powder in them. I shot about 10 of these and all made my bolt tight. The rest i pulled apart and used the brass and the bullets with my own load. But over all the 6.5 is a great shooter. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.