6.5 x 257 weatherby info

Me and a friend of mine had two rifles built in 6.5x270 wby......I absolutely love it! Easy to load for. I'm running 142 ABLR at 3268 with a 9 SD. Another load is with H1000, very accurate, but slower.

I load for one that a friend owns one, a McWhorter build.
I tweaked the load recipe they gave him and made it better, so now it's probably his most accurate rifle.

Easy to make proper brass, but I use my 7mm Wby Redding dies to load it, as the 6.5 Redding seating die he got with the rifle is too small in the neck area so ends up catching the end of the brass and pushing it down. Just be aware though this may only be an issue with the set that is here. One of these days I should have a machinist open the die up a bit.

Jms is right. How the heck did wby not do this one. It's better than the 257wby and the 270 wby. I'm a huge 257bee fan but the selection of bullets and higher bc of the 6.5s is hard to ignore.
Shep
How does the 257 Bee compare when running a 131 BJ? I agree there needs to be a bigger selection of 25 caliber bullets. But it's happening slowly.

The problem is that almost every factory 257 caliber rifle made was a 10 or 12 twist. The bullet factories is not going to make bullets for guns that can't shoot them. 22s have tons of fast twist rifles in AR platforms. 6mm and 7mm and 30 are different because they have widespread target use also. And 6.5s mostly came with 8 twist already, boy did Remington and Winchester miss that boat. Winchester is looking like they are going to help the 270 crowd now with fast twist barrels and heavy bullets for it. So the 270 problem looks like it will resolve itself now but us 25 fans are going to have to keep waiting. Until then the 6.5 will do nicely.
Shep

Wby only did the 6.5x300 so they could have the fastest 6.5 not the best 6.5. The 6.5x257 is not much slower and is definitely easier on barrels.
Shep

Guy M yes it would be about the same but since it is a wildcat you can build it on an 8 twist barrel and use longer high bc bullets. The 264 with it's 9 twist can't do this and it has a very short freebore and short neck. The 264 can be made into a better cartridge by using an 8 and giving it some freebore but that's not how they have been produced. I gave a plus and con post earlier.
Shep

Aside from already having the magnum action, seems like the 6.5/284 could be Your Ticket to all-around performance with chance for longer barrel life than any magnum affords. Might watch David Tubb's video of The One Mile Shot where he uses 6.5/284 to deliver the goods. Pretty much the optimum performer for balance of velocity and accuracy. Not much more than an optimized 6.5-06, except you get much enhanced magazine load-to length when using long action versus a short-action.

Load using the Sierra Accuracy data for their 142gr MK and then go to work tuning your rifle. Proven does really mean something. Joe Rychetnik touted the .257wby as the all-around Alaskan ctg, except for Big Bears. Not much bullet selection in .25cal though...

I'm not a magnum guy for any caliber under .338; and then I'm not looking to burn throat with anything over 75gr of slow powder. Does the extra flight time @ 2770 fps vs. 3100fps really gain that much advantage on wind drift at 700yds? Does the gain in drop matter that much if you can dial for it with proven confidence? I decided these things were in the realm of angel #s dancing on pin heads; but maybe that's me (insult anticipated).

At some point I lost my thril in the chase for more bullet horsepower. Reliability and longer barrel life were, it seems, the greater quest. I'm happy with the .260rem and a .30-06ai instead of a .300mag. My .338/300win enables 65 to almost 79gr performance range using XMR 4350 with a 250gr bullet. If choosing today, would go with a .338 necked-down .375ruger mag ctg; or at least would study that one intently. Maybe a necked-up .308 Lazzeroni Patriot; but I don't care for the .590 boltface ctgs.

Nice to have magazine capacity gains and better bullet seating options which the .284 case variants enable, plus powder stack improvements. Not a whole lot to brag about to the guys at the range or hunting club, but what works might just be what matters most. Also got that Lapua brass mojo working for you. No barrel burners for me, thank you!

I know it's not for everyone, but it has become my favorite!! I've shot a 264 win for years, but the longer neck makes for better bullet seating and it is easy to load for. Yesterday I got to shoot 156gr Berger's with N570 and first group at 200 yards look good

Attachments

• DB2942F3-A649-4989-8DE6-4E1B4A852E99.jpeg
    DB2942F3-A649-4989-8DE6-4E1B4A852E99.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 139
Aside from already having the magnum action, seems like the 6.5/284 could be Your Ticket to all-around performance with chance for longer barrel life than any magnum affords. Might watch David Tubb's video of The One Mile Shot where he uses 6.5/284 to deliver the goods. Pretty much the optimum performer for balance of velocity and accuracy. Not much more than an optimized 6.5-06, except you get much enhanced magazine load-to length when using long action versus a short-action.

Load using the Sierra Accuracy data for their 142gr MK and then go to work tuning your rifle. Proven does really mean something. Joe Rychetnik touted the .257wby as the all-around Alaskan ctg, except for Big Bears. Not much bullet selection in .25cal though...

I'm not a magnum guy for any caliber under .338; and then I'm not looking to burn throat with anything over 75gr of slow powder. Does the extra flight time @ 2770 fps vs. 3100fps really gain that much advantage on wind drift at 700yds? Does the gain in drop matter that much if you can dial for it with proven confidence? I decided these things were in the realm of angel #s dancing on pin heads; but maybe that's me (insult anticipated).

At some point I lost my thril in the chase for more bullet horsepower. Reliability and longer barrel life were, it seems, the greater quest. I'm happy with the .260rem and a .30-06ai instead of a .300mag. My .338/300win enables 65 to almost 79gr performance range using XMR 4350 with a 250gr bullet. If choosing today, would go with a .338 necked-down .375ruger mag ctg; or at least would study that one intently. Maybe a necked-up .308 Lazzeroni Patriot; but I don't care for the .590 boltface ctgs.

Nice to have magazine capacity gains and better bullet seating options which the .284 case variants enable, plus powder stack improvements. Not a whole lot to brag about to the guys at the range or hunting club, but what works might just be what matters most. Also got that Lapua brass mojo working for you. No barrel burners for me, thank you!
Hi Edward.
You have fine tastes in Rifle cartridges sir. I too have a 6.5x284 and a 30-06 Ackley.

What is your take on the new Weatherby 6.5 RPM? Just a lengthened 6.5x284 case. Brass availabilty may hamstring it.

Brit.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts