6.5 WSSM

Steve Porter

I have a Browning A-Bolt SS Stalker in 270 WSM I am very interested in making this into a 6.5 WSSM and shoot a 143 Hornady ELD-X. (loaded and throated long) Any information on this such as: Where to get a chamber reamer, reloading dies, loading data, Thank you in advance!
Steve

Don't build a 6.5WSSM unless you have a ton of brass already. Even then your stuck with Winchester brass only.

Personally I would build a 6.5 Gap 4s (6.5SAUM) or the 6.5 SS(Sherman shortmag) on that action.

Don't build a 6.5WSSM unless you have a ton of brass already. Even then your stuck with Winchester brass only.

Personally I would build a 6.5 Gap 4s (6.5SAUM) or the 6.5 SS(Sherman shortmag) on that action.
I have a Browning A-Bolt SS Stalker in 270 WSM I am very interested in making this into a 6.5 WSSM and shoot a 143 Hornady ELD-X. (loaded and throated long) Any information on this such as: Where to get a chamber reamer, reloading dies, loading data, Thank you in advance!
Steve

I think you would be better off going with a 6.5 WSM better brass choices and 6.5-06 performance in a short action.

Thank you Calihunter, I had not thought about these options and am open to the possibilities, and am looking at your suggestions.

I think you would be better off going with a 6.5 WSM better brass choices and 6.5-06 performance in a short action.
Hi Wild Bill, Cali hunter got me thinking with the ss sherman. If I'm going to do a wildcat probably stick with WSM as parent case and shorten it so it is in between WSSM and WSM in length. I don't want to burn as much powder as WSM but would like 2950 fps on a 143gr ELD-X. I'm going to turn this rifle into a hot 6.5 just need to research choices. Thanks.

Hi Wild Bill, Cali hunter got me thinking with the ss sherman. If I'm going to do a wildcat probably stick with WSM as parent case and shorten it so it is in between WSSM and WSM in length. I don't want to burn as much powder as WSM but would like 2950 fps on a 143gr ELD-X. I'm going to turn this rifle into a hot 6.5 just need to research choices. Thanks.

Steve if your going to use a browning I assume it has the mag box restriction like most brownings do. That is why I suggested the SS Sherman or the 6.5Gap, you will not have any issues with mag box length. You should be right on the money with 143eldx and 2950fps with lots of barrel life.

As for the 6.5wsm its better suited on a med-length action or long action. The suam case is less capacity than the WSM and the SS is in between both of those.

Steve if your going to use a browning I assume it has the mag box restriction like most brownings do. That is why I suggested the SS Sherman or the 6.5Gap, you will not have any issues with mag box length. You should be right on the money with 143eldx and 2950fps with lots of barrel life.

As for the 6.5wsm its better suited on a med-length action or long action. The suam case is less capacity than the WSM and the SS is in between both of those.

Calihunter,
Can I use SAUL brass with a WSM bolt? They are a bit different in size? I would like something like the SS Sherman seems to be just right in case capacity. After you got me thinking I thought why not take a 270WSM case, shorten it .2" I like
the SS powder capacity/performance.

Calihunter,
Can I use SAUL brass with a WSM bolt? They are a bit different in size? I would like something like the SS Sherman seems to be just right in case capacity. After you got me thinking I thought why not take a 270WSM case, shorten it .2" I like
the SS powder capacity/performance.
There is hillbilly brass that specializes in turning WSM brass into WSSM brass. They maybe able to produce a length that is in between the two.

Steve Porter,

I think if you would slow down and look at some case capacities and cartridge drawings, you would see that the case you need is the RSAUM. It holds ~71 grains of H2O as opposed to the WSM which holds 82 grains. The RSAUM case is 2.035", similar to the .308 Win. When loaded with the 143 ELD-X, you have room to make 3,100 fps if you so desire. Otherwise, you can use H-1000 as a cooler burning powder for lower pressure and less velocity.

6.5 RSAUM brass is available as 6.5 GAP 4S from GA Precision and their distributors. No wildcatting brass and there's a ton of reloading information, which is especially necessary if the ELD-X doesn't want to perform in your rifle. If you want another brass maker, you can simply neck down 7mm RSAUM to 6.5mm in one move with the sizing die.

t26771-7dcef5c1d465e58cf89531093c4357e6.jpg

Steve Porter,

I think if you would slow down and look at some case capacities and cartridge drawings, you would see that the case you need is the RSAUM. It holds ~71 grains of H2O as opposed to the WSM which holds 82 grains. The RSAUM case is 2.035", similar to the .308 Win. When loaded with the 143 ELD-X, you have room to make 3,100 fps if you so desire. Otherwise, you can use H-1000 as a cooler burning powder for lower pressure and less velocity.

6.5 RSAUM brass is available as 6.5 GAP 4S from GA Precision and their distributors. No wildcatting brass and there's a ton of reloading information, which is especially necessary if the ELD-X doesn't want to perform in your rifle. If you want another brass maker, you can simply neck down 7mm RSAUM to 6.5mm in one move with the sizing die.

t26771-7dcef5c1d465e58cf89531093c4357e6.jpg
Sable Tireur.
I think you and Calihunter have made some very good recomendations. I didn
t know about 6.5 Gap S4 until today. I think this is a very good choice and will make life much simpler than complicated brass forming. I am really looking at it and like what I see. Thank you Gentlemen! Perhaps a 8.5 twist for the 143gr ELD-X?

I've used 8.7, 8.5 and 8.0 on several barrels with great success. 1:8.5" will give you a little buffer room just in case your velocities fall slightly.

Just go with a 1-8" twist and never worry about bullet stability. I think you finally grasp what we both were saying about the SAUM. Don't complicate things make it simple and it will be simple.

I did an 8.5" twist on my son's 6.5-06 and wish I had done an 8" twist. I would not recommend slower than an 8" twist. In fact we are now building 6.5's on 7" twist barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.