6.5 wsm

raul

Does anyone have experience in 6,5 wsm accuracy at long range shooting?

I´m planning inn built one rifle on this caliber-
I´ll use Barnes and Nosler in 120-130 range bullets

Thank you all

raul

Since your starting your build you might consider the 6.5 of off the 7mm RSAUM as your cartridge.. I haven't seen a 6.5 WSM on the range, but I did shot with a fellow who sported a 6.5 RSAUM... {1k shooting} an it was very impressive. It would seem like the RSAUM might have a little better neck, for necking down, as well as holding the bullet. In either case {both cartridges being close to ballistic twines along with the {6.5 Remington Magnum one of my all time favorites} it should be a smoking cartridge. As a side note; at full throttle they are a little mean to the barrels, as a match rifle.

Last edited:
You might want to check on a couple of your custom barrel makers to see which of them have the 6.5/300 WSM reamer on hand. Then you could buy your barrel chambered and save a slug of $$.

This caliber has always interested me. It's on my favorites list.
One day my 270 WSM will head this direction. :D

If you search this forum for 6.5wsm you'll find old posts.

jm .02

Last edited:
raul,
If you are wanting to shoot past 500 yards I would suggest a 1 in 8" twist barrel so you can shoot the Berger or JLK VLD 140 gr bullets. They have a much higher ballistic coefficient and will be much better downrange performers in flatter trajectory, retained energy and most importantly decreased wind drift.
I have a 6.5 WSM and love it. In a 26" barrel you can get 3100-3200 fps with a 140 gr bullet. Lee makes 6.5-300 WSM dies for regular price. They would be a good starter set.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.