6.5 wsm

dmgreene

I've got a 8.5 twist Rock barrel laying around was trying to decide what to chamber it in and was thinking about a 6.5 WSM. Anybody out there played with one much? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Yes--in fact am leaving for the ranch to go and do round 3 of load development and also round 1 with my 300 H&H that Chuck Grace built.

Very easy to form---and it has shot all of the loads so far .75 MOA or less with a couple being .4 and one being .3---that is with the 130 Accubond and with 7828, RL19, RL22, WMR, and H4831. The RL powders are giving 3350 to 3415 with some 5 shot strings having less than 15fps spread the WMR is about 20fps and the 7828 is 18fps.

Thanks Boss. What brass are you using? I have tried Remington and Winchester in my 270 WSM and they both starting getting loose primer pockets after the 3rd reloading with mild loads. What length barrel are you using to get those kind of velocities?

Thanks,
David

I have a 24 in tube (Krieger with a Speedy designed reamer from Dave Kiff) and use Norma brass - just got back in from the ranch spent most of the day shooting, hunting, and skinning.

I have one on a Savage action with a Lilja 9 twist 26" barrel. I think I have a bedding issue as I have been getting some vertical stringing but horizontal spread is usually 0.1-0.2" at 100 yds with the 140 gr Sierra SBT at 3200 fps. I picked up some 130 gr Accubonds and plan to load for them. I use Norma 270 WSM brass and am pretty happy with it. I've been using IMR 7828 and H1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.