6.5 WSM barrel life question

MAELTY

I own and enjoy a 7MM WSM Coyote. After I had it pillar bedded, a trigger job, and a muzzlebreak applied it shoots really well.

I say all of this because it peaked the interest of my son. To my surprise he took a Ruger M77 .260 and had it reamed for the WSM case. He also had it pillar bedded and a muzzlebreak installed with a trigger job. He then comes to me and says, "Lets get it shooting!"

I've searched this site for some loading information (powders and starting points)and became concerned over the various inputs on barrel life. This gun has the standard barrel supplied from the factory, it will not be used for long range work. Most of the shooting done with this gun will be 500 yds and in and mainly Pennsylvania game. Am I wrong in thinking that if we stay under maximum charges it will extend what barrel life there is, considering a lower load can be found that will be acceptably accurate ?[*][*]6.5 WSM barrel life[*]null

I know of two that have over a thousand rounds on them and still are 1/2" MOA guns.
That is with full power loads.
It's gonna eat stuff no doubt but don't shoot it to hot and that will help. I built one for testing so I'll know a bit more later on.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.