6.5 Twist

Terry,
I've fired Sierra 142s MK, Sierra 140s MK, Lapua 139s, and Hornady 140gr A-Maxs through 2 seperate 9" twist barrels without a problem. And the one barrel did a whole bunch of winning at 1K BR matches. Haven't fired them in extreme cold weather though. About 30-40F is the lowest temp I've fired them in.
The 140gr Sierra in a 9" twist is good as low of temperature as you can stand. I've fired them with snow on the ground and the temp was %%^$%^ cold without a problem.
The Clinch River 147s work great in 8" and 8.5" twists by actual firing and hopefully will get to try them in my good 9 twist barrel this weekend. But it's going to be close according to calculations. We'll see.

Steve

my 6.5 WSM's got 9" twist and the 6.5x284's got 8" twist.
What velocity are u going to drive the C-Rivers?

[ 11-05-2003: Message edited by: mbianchini ]

I've got a three groove Pac-Nor barrel chambered for 264 Win. Mag. with an 8" twist. Shoots the 140 SMK's great at just over 3000 fps. Not the most efficient cartridge in the world, but the dies were only $40. How many rounds of 6.5-284 would I have to fire in order to save $200 in powder to cover the extra expense of the dies????

That's my story and I'm stickin to it!!!!!!

000_0172.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.