6.5 Swedish Pressure

Pa Grizz

I have a 6.5 that I have reloaded little for it .I read an article about the pressure for an older 96 and the newer guns...I am concerned now that the manual I have been using may be for the newer guns.Most Mauser actions are pretty strong but is there enough differance between them to be concerned in the loads

I had a converted '96 that I loaded to the Speer #12/13 books without issue.
The only thing weak in a '96 is the firing pin spring, the cock on closing is the reason for this.
Mine was a pre 1940 Carl Gustav model, very accurate with it's 4 groove rifling.

Cheers.

There is so much info out there on this that can be sourced through google, you just have to search through the fodder to get to the feed.

Here is just 1 previous thread from here from 2008

As far as pressures go this it the general consensus-

The SAAMI maximum average pressure (MAP) for this cartridge is 51,000 psi (351.6 MPa) piezo pressure (46,000 CUP). All Swedish Mauser bolt actions were proof tested with a single 6.5×55mm proof round developing approximately 455 MPa (65,992 psi) piezo pressure (55,000 CUP).
Maximum pressure (SAAMI): 351.6 MPa (51,000 ...
Maximum pressure (C.I.P.): 380.0 MPa (55,110 ...
Primer type: large rifle
Rifling twist: 220 mm (1-8.66 in)

I would find out what pressure your loads are producing & compare to the info above.

Good luck

Last edited:
If you have a small ring Mauser the load data you want for usage in them will usually have that information with it. Sierra #5, Lyman 48, Hornady #7 and my favorite Accutate Powders #2 all have the data for usage for under 46,000 CUP loads. As I said the Accurate load data is my favorite because their loads go up to just under the 46,000 CUP limit where the others are really conservative on their loads. But again I can understand that because most of these rifle are over 100 years old and who knows their condition. I have a few military Swede Mausers and one that I sported that some Bubba had already started hacking on. I left the 29" barrel on it because with Max loads of AA 4350 from the Accurate #2 manual I can still average 2950 fps with 120 gr bullets and 2800 with 140 gr bullets with super accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.