6.5 super LR?

I really am having a hard time in seeing the "practical" part of the 6.5 SLR.

I was contemplating the 6mm SLR over the 6.5mmSLR for some time and I kept looking at the numbers. The reason I picked the 6mm SLR was because of the amount of potential that it had over the 6.5SLR. The 6 had a little bit more of a gain over other cartridges with the 30 degree shoulder and longer neck, as well as velocity in the bullet range that I wanted. I to saw only small benefits in the 6.5 but the 6 was even better in my opinion. It gives better barrel life, better case life, better velocities over the parent.

xdeano

Not sure I get the practicality part either. There are so many factory rounds in this range I don't see the advantage of going wildcat here.
The 6.5x55 holds more powder, 57+ grains of water, has brass from every manf, and there is loaded ammo everywere. Plus it is available in current models and will never stop being made. And they don't get much more accurate.

Maybe I am missing something.

I agree Scot. I went with the 6.5X57, and had it Ackley'd, with a 40* shoulder. There is a 30* version also.
Cases are cheap, but do need to be fireformed.
I went with it for the neck length over the .260Rem. It shoots 140s at near 3kfps, and the longer neck allows shooting 120s VERY well also. At near 3200fps I might add.

It isn't quite a x.284, but barrel life is better, and I can use a variety of cases, from the .257Bob, the 6MMRem. the 7x57 or the parent 8x57. That was the primary reason I liked it over the Swede.

So far the Winchester .257Bob+P cases have been the easiest to get, and yield the best (easiest) results.

Hi I am new to this forum and I would really like to get Zak Smith's opinion on this one. I think the 6.5 is one of the best diameter bullets going; and currently own a 6.5x55 and just finished a 260 build for my father. The 260 is awesome and I am sure the 6.5 super LR is probably an improvement, but are you really willing to put up with all the hassle of a wildcat and a very unproven one at that if at the end of the day you deiced you do than go for it; I'll be waiting to here how that turns out; but if not just stick with the proven 260 and you will not be disappointed.

if you are familiar with the accuracy potential of the 6br, if not its basically only dominated by the 22 or 6 ppc out to 300yrds then it runs out of steam. The 6 and 6.5 slr use the 6br top end, same shoulder and neck length, and cases are easy to form, no fireforming, that's the benefits, superb accuracy and slight velocity plus added barrel life over the parent cases.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.