6.5 STW ?

bubbaokie

I have a 6.5 STW built on a Rem 700 action with Nightforce 5.5-22 zero stop on it. Not having any luck finding load data anywhere. Anyway, I worked up a load using 143 gr ELD-X's and 74 grains H1000. They will group about 1/2" at 100 yards and that certainly works for me. I want to shoot longer ranges and getting ready now to stretch it on out to 500 and 700 yards. I don't have access to a chrony and wondering if anyone out there has any idea what my fps might be. Don't want to waste any more bullets than I have to. If I had fps, I could have a better idea of drops to dial in at those ranges.
I ran my 260 out to 1100 yards with 123 gr bullets and known fps and bc, and got surprisingly close last time.
I kmow there's not a lot of 6.5 STW's out there, nut thought MAYBE some one could help me. I want to use the STW this fall for elk in NM. I have a bear with this rifle in Idaho about 5 years ago when i was using the 140 AMaxes and 5010 powder at about 350 yards. But, no more 5010 powder....and I changed scopes so having to start over.
Thanks for any input,
G1 bc of this bullet is .625 and G7 is .315

I had read those older threads. I have had my 6.5 about 6 years. Got home rom church tonight about 8 PM and wind had laid. Son had put new paint and X's on steel targets for me. He was spotting with his spotting scope for me. I guessed 7 clicks and fired one. He said up 2 clicks and fire 3. Bingo....nice group at 6.5 clicks center of X. Moved to 700 yard target and using data for the 260, I guessed 11 clicks. Fired one and he said good...fire two more and don't mess it up...LOL. Fired two more and had a nice 2" group at 700 yards.
Guess I'll leave it alone. Now to get on the data site and calculate drops at various ranges and try it out when wind lays again.....hopefully next couple of days.
I have maybe 150 rounds thru the rifle, and only use it for hunting maybe couple times a year. At my age it should last a lifetime....LOL

Think I have the 6.5 STW figured out . Load shows 3230 fps using 143 gr ELD-x with H1000. No pressure signs. Got up a couple mornings ago to hogs on the shooting range (out the back door). Dropped two, one at 475 yards and the other at 715 yards. Nice way to start the day.

Good shooting, and a great way to start the day.
That said, we are all custom junkies and gluttons for punishment with addictions to wildcats and long range shooting. And people think drugs are a 'spensive habit!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.