6.5 STW Load data

Frank7mm

I'm building a 6.5 stw and was wondering if anyone here has one? If so do you have any pet loads? First off for all of those that are going to suggesting a different build or say it's a barrel burner, I DON"T CARE IT'S MY MONEY. I was also curious on what velocity could be abtained with a 140 berger. I couldn't find much data online. Thanks:D

Interesting project! I haven't any load data as I had a bugger of a time getting the velocites I thought I should be getting with the 264 Win Mag and the 6.5 X 300WSM. Oh and fill the case. Long barrels did it in the Win Mag.

I am a handgunner period so the 6.5WSM with faster burning powders just did not get it done ( could not fill case before pressure problems)so had to go to slower than I wanted to go powders.

Actually I would like to help you as I am interested in seeing if you can actually beat the velocities of my two 6.5 larger cases.

Sorry

Neal

Great rifle and one of the best at long range. Mine has a 28" Hart barrel. Accuracy loads in mine top out between 3325 fps and 3400 fps with the 140 grain bullets. I settled on the 130 swift scirroco with a .571 BC at just over 3500 fps. It is a good quality big game bullet. With the 140's I had good results with H-870, RE-25, 7828, Retumbo. Re25, 7828 and magpro with the 130 grain bullet. It is as good as it gets for a long range deer/antelope special out here in Wyoming.

Thanks for the help. I have a 6.5 wsm and love it. Just thought I'd try something else. I should have it done early spring and try the powders you listed. Thanks again.

I worked with the 264 wsm about this time last year and really like that chambering. Accuracy was outstanding but unfortunately I let a guy talk me out of it at the range after I got all the data out of it I wanted. I will probably do another for a personal light mountain rifle. What that STW will do though with a very fast high BC bullet is pretty special. I have my new lathe in my garage now so I can get cranked back up again when I get the house finished around it. My wife says the house finished around it is a good idea.

I would give Retumbo a good try. I have a 264 Win mag with a Shilen 27 3/4" barrel and with the 130 Nosler Accubond bullet I am getting 3350 fps with 66.5 grs Retumbo. By the way I really like that Accubond bullet at least for inside 300 yard shooting of deer. 275 yards is as far as I have shot a deer with it so far but it really does a good job. I killed three others one at 98 and two at 111 yards. Dropped them in their tracks and I even recovered one bullet that traviled the lenght of a buck and was found in the ham. Bullet was a text book mushroom with the lead core still in tact and recovered weight was 71 grs. Deer was shot a 111 yards.

I just built a 6.5-06 with a 27.5 inch krieger barrel. I can get 3250 with 61.0 grs of rel 25 and a 129 gr interlok bullet. zeroed at 300 ,I am 8 low at 400 and only 22 at 500. I have a 7mm ultra mag being converted to 6.5 ultra mag now. Aaah the sport of the chase , the taste of old whisky and pretty woman. what else is there.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.