6.5 StaBall recommended Primer?

RevJim

I'm going to try this in my Creedmoor with the 110 HH. Does anyone know if this powder requires, or does best, better, etc with a magnum Primer? I've always used Magnum Primers with 760/414, so I just want to make sure I can get this this stuff lit in cold temps?

I've ever used that powder but if it's a ball, or spherical type powder, a magnum primer would help. Just work up and check your speed. If your see low ES/SD you're GTG. I use CCI-34's in my 308/7.62 NATO with VarGet and it produces the lower ES/SD over a F210M, or the CCI-BR2.

I'm going to try this in my Creedmoor with the 110 HH. Does anyone know if this powder requires, or does best, better, etc with a magnum Primer? I've always used Magnum Primers with 760/414, so I just want to make sure I can get this this stuff lit in cold temps?
I just did the same thing, used mag, and standard, and found standard primer worked just fine. I was surprised! I've used mag primers in other ball powders though!

Steve of Hammer Bullets wrote ( somewhere, I forget) that Magnum primers did better with his bullets. Good to know that either one works on StaBall though, thanks Pard!

Look at hodgdons site for the creed with that powder and see what they use. I do know the CCI 250 is specially formulated for ball powder. Being they sell it they might know

Look at hodgdons site for the creed with that powder and see what they use. I do know the CCI 250 is specially formulated for ball powder. Being they sell it they might know
They also recommend a magnum primer for 308 loads, Its a recommendation, as I and 7STW said we tried both primers side by side and they showed no difference with StaBall 6.5 and I'm loading alot more powder than you will put in a Creedmoor case

Additionally, you can use a Winchester WLR, also. It's a standard primer, however, again designed for ball powders, as Winchester uses MOSTLY ball powders any way. I've used them before, and I think I read somewhere, that they are the hottest "standard" primer. Which I think puts them between the 200, 210, and the 250. And closer to the 250, if I read it right!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.