6.5 SS vs MOOSE @ 900 yds 150 MATRIX

elkaholic

Here is a teaser. More on the story and pics tomorrow. I AM TIRED:D....Rich
Kevins Moose.jpg

Moose on Quad.jpg

My friend Kevin drew a moose tag and I agreed to take him if he used my 6.5 SS (since we all know you can't kill a moose with a 6.5):D We went up opening morning and watched a series of clearcuts and saw nothing. I knew there were moose in the area so we went back again in the afternoon to try again. The weather had improved from the rain in the a.m. We had not sat there 5 minutes when Kevin spotted on on an old logging road 670 yards below us. I told him to get in a prone position and quickly dialed up 10 3/4" on the 6-24 SIII. Kevin has never hunted long range and was struggling with picking up the moose in the scope. The moose is now walking away from us down the trail so I range the next opening large enough to get off a shot. I quickly redial the scope and Kevin can't find him again GEEZ!:D This process repeats itself about 4 times and the moose is now at 900 yards. I was already dialed in for 17 1/4". I told Kevin "you have got to make this happen" because the moose would be out of site around a bend in a few more yards. I kneeled down by him and turned the power down on the scope so he could pick him up quicker. When he said "I'm on him" I turned the power back to 24x. I let out my best Tarzan call and when it echoed across the canyon, the moose stopped, turned broadside, and looked back across the canyon toward us. I had coached Kevin on site picture and squeezing the trigger and he had a solid rest so I was confident that he could make the shot. It seemed like he aimed for 10 minutes, but when the SS cracked, the moose humped and started walking off very slowly. He walked about 20 yards and turned and walked slowly back almost to where he was shot. I was pleading with Kevin to put another round in him (!!!!!!) but it wasn't necessary as the moose rolled over!
"Did I get him Rich"! I think you did, I said with a little higher pitch in my voice! We jump on the quads and ride for about 10 minutes on a couple other logging roads to get down to where he was. I had marked the position on some snags, so when we got to that point, I jumped off and started looking for blood. There was plenty of it from him making 2 trips in his same tracks. He had rolled just off the road cut and was lodged against some brush (Thank God) or it may have been a rough pack! Kevin was jumping up and down and squealing like a school girl:D
I have not recovered the bullet, and likely won't because I think it got flushed out in 5 gallons of blood, etc.! There was no exit and could not see where it contacted the offside of the ribs. The bullet entered the back of the shoulder muscle (no bone) and blew the heart to pieces. It is amazing that an animal can stay on it's feet that long, let alone walk 40 yards, with no heart! The pics will tell the story! The load was 61 1/2 grains of H1000 behind a 150 Matrix which pretty much shoots bugholes at 3135 fps.
moose entry wound.jpg

moose heart.jpg

Look's like excessive meat loss. From the neck to the tail - all gone! :D

The core of the matrix must be packed with nitroglycerin...

Pretty amazing stuff Rich, congrats to you and the hunter!
You sure you did not squeal a little bit?:D

I have shot a lot of moose in Alaska but never a Shiras. They seem to stay on their feet and not know they are dead.

That little 6.5ss with a matrix bullet seems like a power house combination, although I have zero first hand experience.

I heard from new owner from Matrix bullets on Saturday. He assures me he will have 150-160's in November.

Ray

Might have known you guys would come up with some kind of crap!:D
Glad to hear that Matrix will remain in production. I will miss Marshal though!....Rich

Pretty amazing stuff Rich, congrats to you and the hunter!
You sure you did not squeal a little bit?:D

I have shot a lot of moose in Alaska but never a Shiras. They seem to stay on their feet and not know they are dead.

That little 6.5ss with a matrix bullet seems like a power house combination, although I have zero first hand experience.

I heard from new owner from Matrix bullets on Saturday. He assures me he will have 150-160's in November.

Ray

I should have had Kevin put an ELDX in him before he went down to make a comparison:D Seriously though; I think an ELDX would have performed very well at that range......Rich

Can't kill a moose with a 6.5? Scandinavian hunters have been killing them with the 6.5x55 for a long time! Good job proving the doubters wrong again.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.