6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

I know this thread has been dormant for a bit but hoping maybe a few folks are still watching and might be able to offer some opinions. I have a 6.5ss and a 6.5cm. I'm thinking about getting rid of the 6.5cm and just downloading the 6.5ss when I just want to do some short range plinking. Is there a "minimum" case fill % that I should make sure I stay above? I know for precision you want to fill the case, 95ish%, but is there a target number for minimum also. I have 4 powders I can use, RE26, H1000, 7828ssc and Hunter. Hunter is definitely the powder I'm thinking for my plinking loads but based on Quickload I'm looking at 83-87% case fill for my target velocity. Is that sufficient to seal the chamber and give the needed pressure to do its thing?

I know this thread has been dormant for a bit but hoping maybe a few folks are still watching and might be able to offer some opinions. I have a 6.5ss and a 6.5cm. I'm thinking about getting rid of the 6.5cm and just downloading the 6.5ss when I just want to do some short range plinking. Is there a "minimum" case fill % that I should make sure I stay above? I know for precision you want to fill the case, 95ish%, but is there a target number for minimum also. I have 4 powders I can use, RE26, H1000, 7828ssc and Hunter. Hunter is definitely the powder I'm thinking for my plinking loads but based on Quickload I'm looking at 83-87% case fill for my target velocity. Is that sufficient to seal the chamber and give the needed pressure to do its thing?
You might want to think about the 6.5 SST, just a little less capacity than the 6.5 SS but still a great cartridge. It sounds like it may fit your needs, the best of both worlds.

I'm not sure of the fill %, but I run my fireforming load as a plinking/ short range hunting load. When I first started with my ss I formed remington brass before I got Norma. I run 57gr of H4831sc & Hornady 129sp @ 3030. It's crazy accurate, bullets are cheep, super mild easy on components, & does a fine job ringing steel @ 600yds & thinning out does up to 400yds.

What cal. are you using as a comparison on quickload for 6.5 SS? 6.5 SAUM? There isn't any Sherman cartridges in QL...

What cal. are you using as a comparison on quickload for 6.5 SS? 6.5 SAUM? There isn't any Sherman cartridges in QL...
I created a new case file (Data:Add,Change,Load,Save -> Case/Caliber data -> Create new case/caliber file) and input all the case measurements and H2O weight.

I created a new case file (Data:Add,Change,Load,Save -> Case/Caliber data -> Create new case/caliber file) and input all the case measurements and H2O weight.
I am interested in a 6.5SS. Did you get dimensions from Elkaholic or did you take your own measurements? I run QL and would like to create a profile so I can do some research.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of performance I can get from a 20-22" barrel.

Last edited:
I am interested in a 6.5SS. Did you get dimensions from Elkaholic or did you take your own measurements? I run QL and would like to create a profile so I can do some research.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of performance I can get from a 20-22" barrel.
real world data is up to 3000' with a 156 in a 22" barrel. guys have reached 3000' with a 20", but its a little hot!

real world data is up to 3000' with a 156 in a 22" barrel. guys have reached 3000' with a 20", but its a little hot!
Thanks Rich. I'm really wanting to run a short 20" light weight suppressed rig with this. I'll likely do like Lance and run either 140 elite hunters or 144 LRHTs. May even get a 7.5 twist and run 129 Hammer Absolutes.

Thanks Rich. I'm really wanting to run a short 20" light weight suppressed rig with this. I'll likely do like Lance and run either 140 elite hunters or 144 LRHTs. May even get a 7.5 twist and run 129 Hammer Absolutes.
20" 6.5SS is just too fun.
20210416_074334.jpg

Light load is a 130 TMK @ 3035fps for varmint hunting and banging steel WAY out there. 1400 is easy.
My hunting loads have a few options. None are hot loads. All are ridiculously accurate.
156 Elite @ 2916fps
144 LR Hyb @ 3055fps
130 TGK @ 3085fps
129 AH @ 3250ish (can't remember exactly)

View attachment 334883
Light load is a 130 TMK @ 3035fps for varmint hunting and banging steel WAY out there. 1400 is easy.
My hunting loads have a few options. None are hot loads. All are ridiculously accurate.
156 Elite @ 2916fps
144 LR Hyb @ 3055fps
130 TGK @ 3085fps
That might just be the most for the least. The most b.c. , least recoil, short barrel length, light gun with great optics/ergonomics! I have a tikka with a proof 24" barrel and shoot the 156 at 2935 with 57.6 gr of vit 565 in a mesa stock all in with scope , sling ,and full magazine at 8.8lb. By far my favorite hunting rifle. {6.5 prc) but I need 4 more inches of barrel to match your rig! Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

View attachment 334883
156 Elite @ 2916fps
144 LR Hyb @ 3055fps
130 TGK @ 3085fps
That's a good looking rig. What stock and optic are you running?

3250'ish with the 129 Absolute sounds stellar and should result in some dramatic bang flops on whitetail and Axis.