6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Are there any downsides to building a Sherman short mag on a long action? Currently building a 338 Sherman but contemplating my next one and thinking about one of the SS or SST which needs the mag bolt face.

Is a Savage action worth building it on? You can swap out the bolt heads easily, correct?
I've built two on Savage actions, so far. A 6.5SS on a short action & a 338SS on a long action. I have no complaints at all on my decision, & I'd do it again. Factory Savage rifles have been inherently accurate, half moa or better with reloads has been my experience. There are plenty of aftermarket accessories available for customization, the bolt heads are easily interchangeable, the Accutriger is, in my opinion, one of the best for factory & there are aftermarket options if they don't trip you trigger. We all want accuracy, reliability & durability in a custom build but getting this on a budget just sounds better!!

@lancetkenyon nice list. Do you have a preference out of the ones you listed? The Berger 144 Hybrid looks like it could be a winner.
Either myself, or family members, have shot big game with every bullet I listed except the Matrix line. And only because I have just never gotten around to ordering the heavies, then, they went on restrictions for a while. But that has been rectified with the US import. Unfortunately, the restriction just lifted and I already purchased 700 of the Berger 144 Hyb for my new build after trying a box in my current 6.5SS with spectacular results. Otherwise, I would have seriously considered the 146 or 150 Matrix for it.

I've built two on Savage actions, so far. A 6.5SS on a short action & a 338SS on a long action. I have no complaints at all on my decision, & I'd do it again. Factory Savage rifles have been inherently accurate, half moa or better with reloads has been my experience. There are plenty of aftermarket accessories available for customization, the bolt heads are easily interchangeable, the Accutriger is, in my opinion, one of the best for factory & there are aftermarket options if they don't trip you trigger. We all want accuracy, reliability & durability in a custom build but getting this on a budget just sounds better!!

When you swapped out bolt heads to a mag bolt face, was there anything else you had to do? Or just swap the head and that's it?

What bottom metal did you use? Stock?

Hey Rich.... Would a barrel chambered in 6.5-300wsm work for a rechamber to 6.5Max? It's 26" long with 8 twist currently. Lilja 3 groove.

When you swapped out bolt heads to a mag bolt face, was there anything else you had to do? Or just swap the head and that's it?

What bottom metal did you use? Stock?
Bolt head swap is easy takes a minute or two. Plenty of tutorials on YouTube. I used an old McMillan originally inletted for an M77 & reworked it for the Savage with an a Whidden aluminum V-block & use AICS mags.

what is the max coal for a 6.5Max with the 156s?

Sorry for all the questions, just looking at parts and don't want to get stuck with parts that limit the potential for the round.

KMG - what savage action did you use? a Model 10 or 12? any issue with lengths in the magazine?

Sorry for all the questions, just looking at parts and don't want to get stuck with parts that limit the potential for the round.

KMG - what savage action did you use? a Model 10 or 12? any issue with lengths in the magazine?
I used a model 11 in 300wsm. Factory these had a large shank barrel but also had the correct bolt head. That said, I changed the bolt head & firing pin to a small diameter set up. This is a fine set up for the SS as my COAL max is 2.995", but this would be short for an optimum max cartridge coal set up.

Has anyone burned the barrel out on a 6.5SS yet ? If so how many rounds?

Also what kind of life is everyone seeing from the ADG brass?

3.2" will give plenty of room. I Think the dummy round to cut the reamer was under 3.1" a little