6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

My 6.5SS and 25 SST both use accurate mags. The SST has the a 30* shoulder and feeds great, I have it set up as a target/hunting rifle. The SS is a hunting rifle 40* shoulder, it feeds just fine but not as smooth as the SST of course. On a hunting rifle I like the SS. If you want a target rifle where you would be feeding a lot of rounds I would go with the SST. Can't go wrong with either. And you will only lose 50-75 fps going with the SST over the SS.

My 6.5SS and 25 SST both use accurate mags. The SST has the a 30* shoulder and feeds great, I have it set up as a target/hunting rifle. The SS is a hunting rifle 40* shoulder, it feeds just fine but not as smooth as the SST of course. On a hunting rifle I like the SS. If you want a target rifle where you would be feeding a lot of rounds I would go with the SST. Can't go wrong with either. And you will only lose 50-75 fps going with the SST over the SS.

Thank you sir. I'm building a lightweight hunting rifl . I just wasnt sure if there were any feeding issues or necessary modifications to the magazine in order for reliable feeding.

ok, so I was planning on a 6.5SS but I see the dies are backordered. I understand its hard to estimate when they may be available. How much would I give up in going with a 6.5SST since it's dies are available? Guess if I did go with a DBM setup (still undecided) then the SST would be a better option in terms of feeding, right?

Oh, and what are recommend min barrel lengths for either? Will be hanging a suppressor off the end so like to keep barrel more in the 20-22" range if that works with these cartridges.

ok, so I was planning on a 6.5SS but I see the dies are backordered. I understand its hard to estimate when they may be available. How much would I give up in going with a 6.5SST since it's dies are available? Guess if I did go with a DBM setup (still undecided) then the SST would be a better option in terms of feeding, right?

Oh, and what are recommend min barrel lengths for either? Will be hanging a suppressor off the end so like to keep barrel more in the 20-22" range if that works with these cartridges.
Both dies are in stock now. You will lose maybe 25'/inch of barrel

Just flipped through the thread again and didn't see any real world velocities posted yet (sorry if I missed them). If you're shooting the 6.5 SS could you post up some velocity data with barrel length and powder type with charge weight please?

Rich, just confirming your 6.5 SS reamer with say a 140 gr Berger Target Hybrid will have a COAL less than 2.95", for feeding from a short action magazine? And presuming that is so, any idea of size the jump to the lands? Thanks.

Rich, just confirming your 6.5 SS reamer with say a 140 gr Berger Target Hybrid will have a COAL less than 2.95", for feeding from a short action magazine? And presuming that is so, any idea of size the jump to the lands? Thanks.
It will be under with a .015" jump. but not too much.