6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

I'm waffling on what to build. I was thinking of selling my Tikka CTR 260 to fund a 6.5SS/Max off a Rem action. But why not use the Tikka action?

I did measure the CTR magazine, inside measures 2.90". Is this sufficient for either of those two rounds?

Rich, I saw you post about PVA selling pre-fits for the 6.5SS. Did they ever start doing that? Also, the 6.5SS is based off either the 270WSM or 7SAUM? One pass thru the 6.5SS die and shoot to fire form the rest?

I'm waffling on what to build. I was thinking of selling my Tikka CTR 260 to fund a 6.5SS/Max off a Rem action. But why not use the Tikka action?

I did measure the CTR magazine, inside measures 2.90". Is this sufficient for either of those two rounds?

Rich, I saw you post about PVA selling pre-fits for the 6.5SS. Did they ever start doing that? Also, the 6.5SS is based off either the 270WSM or 7SAUM? One pass thru the 6.5SS die and shoot to fire form the rest?

First, I'd avoid PVA at all costs. Their delivery times are unreliable and they don't stand behind any of their promises. If they don't have it in stock at time of order then you can expect a delivery time much longer than they state, along with constantly blaming someone else for PVAs failures to deliver.

Go through Nick @ Straight Jacket or Chad at LRI or just about anyone but PVA.

Your tikka action is ok, but you need a mag bolt face for the max.I'll defer to others for final answer on the mag length

I just saw Rich mention pre-fits thru them. Never used them. Nick is doing one for me right now, a 338 Sherman.

I'm leaning towards the 6.5SS, especially if you can form 270WSM brass for it.

Tikka is a good build
2.90" is a little short. You need 2.950" -3.0" for the SS.
The ss is a saum parent and can't be formed by just passing thru a die but I have brass.
The Max would work well on the Tikka with plenty of mag room.

whats coal of the 6.5max?

3.070 to the lands with a 156 berger, other bullets shorter for sure.

Whole thread on it:

If you want to do a full build of a 6.5 Max on a Tikka, also check out Mike @ Hell's Canyon Armory and their current package for a carbon barrel setup:

$2100 for choosing one of the three "stock" chamberings. But he had also quoted $150 more to do it in 6.5 Sherman Max. Nice thing is it includes their own bottom metal and billet mags supporting a 3.380 COAL

If you want to do a full build of a 6.5 Max on a Tikka, also check out Mike @ Hell's Canyon Armory and their current package for a carbon barrel setup:

$2100 for choosing one of the three "stock" chamberings. But he had also quoted $150 more to do it in 6.5 Sherman Max. Nice thing is it includes their own bottom metal and billet mags supporting a 3.380 COAL

I'm not seeing the 'deal'?

AG stock $600
Proof barrel $650
3 port brake $100
Billet mag and bottom metal $250?
Cerakote action $200?
Leaves $300 for smithing in only 3 calibers.

That's pretty much retail pricing.

I'm not seeing the 'deal'?

AG stock $600
Proof barrel $650
3 port brake $100
Billet mag and bottom metal $250?
Cerakote action $200?
Leaves $300 for smithing in only 3 calibers.

That's pretty much retail pricing.
No need to derail this thread too much with that discussion, but it's a deal compared to the normal retail pricing for what is included in the build. Sure, if you want to use other components or other smiths with lower prices you can always go with that. I'd be surprised if you can find a smith to chamber action, thread barrel, and bed the action into the stock for $300 total.

Per their pricing on their site:
Chamber barrel & thread/crown muzzle: $428
Stock Bedding: $125
Titanium Brake: $145
Cerakote: $175
HCA Barrel: $800
AG Stock: $629 with carbon camo colors
And some not priced on their site but similar guesstimates:
Mag & bottom metal : $250??

$2552 total. There's also bolt fluting included, which I don't see a price listed for.

As they listed, it's $400+ off their retail pricing.

No need to derail this thread too much with that discussion, but it's a deal compared to the normal retail pricing for what is included in the build. Sure, if you want to use other components or other smiths with lower prices you can always go with that. I'd be surprised if you can find a smith to chamber action, thread barrel, and bed the action into the stock for $300 total.

Per their pricing on their site:
Chamber barrel & thread/crown muzzle: $428
Stock Bedding: $125
Titanium Brake: $145
Cerakote: $175
HCA Barrel: $800
AG Stock: $629 with carbon camo colors
And some not priced on their site but similar guesstimates:
Mag & bottom metal : $250??

$2552 total. There's also bolt fluting included, which I don't see a price listed for.

As they listed, it's $400+ off their retail pricing.

I didn't see where it said it was bedded, I didn't see where it said it was a titanium brake. I did miss the bolt fluting which cost me $40 last time I had it done. My understanding with HCA barrels is you have to thread the end and at least put a cap on it since the carbon go's all the way to the end. Also I'm not going to use a HCA barrel for $800 when there are other quality carbon barrels out there that will hold tighter groups than most hunters can.

There are lots of websites out there with retail price and than a sale, deal, etc. Just because they say it's a deal doesn't mean anything if it's more than everyone else for the same product. I look at retail on that package like most of gunwerks stuff.

But I guess you get a cool name with your rifle. Carbon killer lol. Now you can go kill carbon. I'll stick with wild game.

PS my 6.5 SS should be done next week. Plan is to load it with the 156 with either N565 or RL 26 right now. I would like to try RL 23 but haven't found any locally.

<<removed the argumentative part of post displaying reading comprehension issues so that dirtytough can edit/remove from their original post if they like>>

PS my 6.5 SS should be done next week. Plan is to load it with the 156 with either N565 or RL 26 right now. I would like to try RL 23 but haven't found any locally.
You're kinda funny, huh? Other than the last few sentences, your post was a great display of reading comprehension failures and an apparently bad mood (hope you're not always like that). In any case, your grand prize is being added to the ignore list.

now hopefully back to relevant and useful posts on topic...

Last edited:
You're kinda funny, huh? Other than the last few sentences, your post was a great display of ignorance combined with reading comprehension failures and an apparently bad mood yesterday (hope you're not always like that). In any case, your grand prize is being added to the ignore list.

now hopefully back to relevant and useful posts on topic...

Please point out in his ad where it says it's bedded and where it says it has a titanium brake. I didn't see that part of it. Maybe I read over it too fast or maybe you assumed something.

Also if you get it chambered in anything but 3 cartridges it's an extra $150. Puts the chambering and timing the brake @$450. That's pretty average. This is a thread about the SS so we should use prices that reflect chambering one. Not a smiths 3 pet chamberings. Again I don't see it as being a deal. But because I'm so dumb I'm sure after that package he will be booked for two years since it's such a deal.

I was trolling about the Carbon Killer comment. But I guess it shows you might need a CC. And dang guy I wanted to say the last word then tell you that you were on ignore lol.