6.5 something

Now I kind of want to make one of these and call it the 6.5 Something! LOL

This is formed from a 375 Ruger case, so the capacities are slightly higher than if the 8x68s case was used. That's a 160gr Matrix VLD seated to about the neck-shoulder junction with an OAL of 3.300". Usable capacity with the bullet seated is right at 72.0gr of water. Might be kind of fun in something like a Tikka with mag length restrictions.
QEqfPrC.jpg

Here are a couple other 6.5mm (or common cases) for reference.
J4wbBV2.jpg

6.5 Grendel, 6.5 BRX, 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x284, 300 WSM, 6.5 Something, 26 Nosler, 6.5 Badger

You could look at RCC, they can make anything you want.
Yeah! They even offer brass for my two mildcats, the .300 Nevada Desert Magnum and the .358 Sierra Stomper. I made mine from .375 Ruger Basic brass until Hornady quit making it; went to factory-formed .375 Ruger cases after that. Worked perfectly, just had incorrect headstampings...

The 6.5 Something NOW HAS A NAME!

6.5 BLASER MAGNUM IMPROVED!

Got a drawing from JGS yesterday. Parent cartridge is a 7mm Blaser Magnum necked down to 6.5mm with 40 degree shoulders. The drawing is a PDF file so I can't manipulate it, copy or share it. Wish I could! Case capacity should be about 76+ grains. It's basically a 257 Wby Mag minus the belt and no radiused shoulders.

I've got some questions, cause I've never done this before. I'm mainly interested in how much free bore/throat to specify. I plan to shoot Hammers in a 1:7.5 twist barrel, but want to be able to shoot both Hammer Hunters and Absolute Hammers. I' guessing the throat will need to be around 200 thousandths, as that's where my 338 Sherman ended up, but I really have no idea.
Also, what about body taper? How much to specify, and why?

OK you gunsmiths and gurus out there. Give me a hand with birthing this new baby!

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.