6.5 something

Talking with @GLTaylor about building a 264 cal that would be beltless in the 70-80 grains of powder capacity. Need to have good quality and available brass. Thoughts?
For something really different you could neck down a 7mm LRM. What ever you pick with that powder load you'll need to keep an eye on throat erosion. I'd use as long a magazine as you can to allow room to move to chase the lands. You'll get a little more life out of your barrel.

I've had great success with my 26 nosler, I have had no problem with acquiring brass. And you can load speed if you like , being its a 6.5 there are plenty of options for bullets out there ,If you reloading for target or Hunting applications. I have been loading for my 26 nosler before there was much loading data available . The 26 nosler is finicky and likes to be reloaded. I think this fits your criteria. Hope it helps feel free to ask me questions.

Maybe Mr. Shehane in the Carolina's would have a suggestion.
We'll call it the .264 EarSplittenLoudenBoomer??
(Light Humor) Good luck with the project!

H2O case capacity of the 264 Win Mag is 82gn. Its an admirable design goal, but at 70-80 gn, you'd be going to a lot of effort in creating a new cartridge to essentially just lose the belt of the 264WM.

The 6.5 Sherman Magnum has a H20 capacity of 75gn. The H20 case capacity of the 26 Nolser is 93gn. Meaning, you've got only a narrow little niche to fill before you go into territory already filled by a pre-existing belt-less cartridge.

We have a reamer on the way that we call the 260 Fat Girl. 6.5-300 Norma mag imp. This will be in the ~85g of powder capacity. A little bigger than what George was wanting. Seems there is a gap in this size. The Dakota is there but brass seems non existent.

We have a reamer on the way that we call the 260 Fat Girl. 6.5-300 Norma mag imp. This will be in the ~85g of powder capacity. A little bigger than what George was wanting. Seems there is a gap in this size. The Dakota is there but brass seems non existent.
260 Fat Girl.... you may get a call from the offensive police.
Do you still have the 6.5 Lapua Improved ?

260 Fat Girl.... you may get a call from the offensive police.
Do you still have the 6.5 Lapua Improved ?
We do. Have never Chambered one. Need to, but I have a feeling it could too much of a good thing? 100+ grains of powder. Although @HARPERC 's recent 6.5 Ultracat worked well with about the same powder capacity and not as nice a cartridge. It runs the 124g Hammer Hunter at 3960 fps with Rem brass. He just got an antelope at 90y with it. :eek:

You like the Fat Girl? We fattened the Norma case so it made complete sense to me!

[QUOTE="Gaetano, post: 1988461, member: 77605"..........I use a 6,5x63 Messner Magnum. Case vol =84,5gr. Shoots 130gr Sciroccos @3307 fps with a decent margin under max pressure. In a 26"barrel I believe this is the maximum powder burning volume to stay within efficient limits.........[/QUOTE]

Varberger 757 has a thread here somewhere regarding this one. What's your brass source.

We have a reamer on the way that we call the 260 Fat Girl. 6.5-300 Norma mag imp. This will be in the ~85g of powder capacity.

FYSA, Swamplord has the 6.5 Prometheus and 6.5 Skuldryl off the 300 Norma Mag.

Swamplord's 6.5 Prometheus and 6.5 Skuldryl.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.