6.5 Shooters

Dave in Idaho

I read somewhere recently that the Sierra 107 Gr BTHP Match bullet could be launched from a n 8 twist barrel with the same success as a 140-155gr bullet. The source stated that the bearing surface of the 107gr was identical to the 140-155's. Anyone out there with some practical application to this therory?
My 6.5 Gibbs shoots great with the 140-155 class bullets. However it would be interesting to see if the lighter bullet could perform as well. Because I am cheap (really, I'm not cheap just married)I don't want to buy a box of bullets that I may find won't work for my rifle.
Thanx for any help.
Dave in Idaho

107 is a long bullet with shape close to the match bullet family in 139/142 and works fine in 1 in 8 or 1 in 8.5

that a solution to shoot faster a light bullet with slight lower BC actually the Norma 130 gr ( very god byt costly ) or the Lapua medium rage weight ( 123 gr ? ) gr can be an answer .

107 gr is primary design as short range match bullet with low recoil but if you push it at max speed you can get very good accuracy result

best is to compare balistic with balitic software

good shooting

DAN TEC

The 107 has a fairly short bearing surface. Considering it is lighter than the 140 and 155 with a sleeker ogive, leads to a shorter bearing surface. In my HP Silhouette rifles I shoot 107/108's at 2750 out of an 8 twist and they shoot just fine. I've even booted them out at 3750 out of a 6.5 STW and they shot nice too.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.