6.5 sherman q&a

can a 6.5 creedmoor be rechamered to 6.5 sherman? And is the Tikka long action long enough to run the long bullets?

The Sherman would clean up a Creedmore but the Tikka is too short. It only accepts about 3.4" and the Sherman needs closer to 3.6" .

Mountain Tacticle makes bottom metal to use 3.715" AICS mags inTikka T3/T3x and Accurate-mags makes a 3.715" 30-06 magazine. Accurate liste the 06 mags as a 3.415" max oal, I called them and there is a plastic spacer in the front that can be cut out to get a max oal of 3.615".

Mountain Tacticle makes bottom metal to use 3.715" AICS mags inTikka T3/T3x and Accurate-mags makes a 3.715" 30-06 magazine. Accurate liste the 06 mags as a 3.415" max oal, I called them and there is a plastic spacer in the front that can be cut out to get a max oal of 3.615".
Thanks for that. That's good info ...rich

I ran some 160's out of mine with a 8 twist. Shot ok but my gun liked 140 bergers and 142 and 150 Matrix better. I found N570 to give me the best performance with all bullets.

I have been getting a lot of questions concerning the 6.5 Sherman lately so I thought it might be worthwhile to run a new thread with some updates.
I developed this cartridge several years ago when I had toasted the barrel on my 6.5 A.I. I really liked this chambering and killed a lot of game with it including some 25 bull elk. I originally was going to build a 6.5 Gibbs which is known for sizzling velocities but I didn't like the very short neck. Since I was dealing with a wildcat anyway, I set out to improve on the A.I. I used the 270W as the parent case to take advantage of the extra .046" length over an '06. I then blew all but .010" taper out of the case body, moved the 40 degree shoulder forward, and still maintained a .300" neck, which is plenty for a .264. The resulting case holds approx. 75grains of H20, is easy to form, and has good case life. It is ballistically identical to the Gibbs but is a much better design. I have also found barrel life to be very good. With the 40 degree shoulder and longish neck, the flame point is contained better within the cartridge neck rather than into the throat, which is where barrels go south first! I now have close to 1700 rounds through this barrel and accuracy is STILL sub 1/2 moa. Velocity is outstanding out of a 26" barrel with 140's topping out at 3200' and 160's, a potent 3050'. Recoil is very manageable, and it is easy to stay on target. This is one of the flattest shooting cartridges around and outperforms factory 264 mag loads with about 7 grains less powder.
I have reamers in .293", neck which requires turning necks for uniformity and clearance, and a "no turn" .297" neck which is becoming very popular. I have a deal with Whidden gunwerks for making custom dies with a shorter turn around than other custom die makers. They are quality bushing dies with micrometer seaters or, I can also get standard non-bushing dies.
They will soon be stocked and available for around $200. The cost from Whidden is normally in the $260 range.
Brass is now available from Norma for the 270 parent. This is proving to be a strong and consistent brass. 280 and 280 A.I. brass can also be used with equal effectiveness. I hope this answers most of the questions that I have been receiving lately. If not, feel free to ask any others that you may have.
I would also invite some of you Sherman owners to post any pet loads, success stories, or ???.........Rich
Hi Rich I am going to build a 6.5 Sherman la I will order a bartlin 5r 29in #3b contour barrel I will be using 140gr to 156gr bergers what twist should I get 7.5 or 8. Do you have reamer to rent and dies thanks Doug fewins

Hi Rich I am going to build a 6.5 Sherman la I will order a bartlin 5r 29in #3b contour barrel I will be using 140gr to 156gr bergers what twist should I get 7.5 or 8. Do you have reamer to rent and dies thanks Doug fewins
An 8 twist will handle most bullets except maybe the 150 smk and some longer monos.
Dies in stock and reamers for rent.

Ok
An 8 twist will handle most bullets except maybe the 150 smk and some longer monos.
Dies in stock and reamers for rent.
Ok thanks when I get ready I will have my gunsmith get with you on renting a reamer. I will get with you next month to order fl dies and a hydraulic forming die. Thanks

Has anyone tried the 110 grain hammer hunters? I have an itch to try them. Wondering on what powder to try.