6.5 SHERMAN MAX

I have been using a 6.5 wildcat called a 6.5 Smith named after the Gunsmith who was Don Smith since
the late 1970's. It is based on a 257 Weatherby case
and shoots 140 grain bullets at a chronographed speed of 3250 fps give or take a few fps. Mr Smith was way
ahead of the curve on the 6.5 caliber advantage. It is still one of my favorite go to hunting rifle. I purchased this rifle probably in 1978 as a full custom build.
Purchase price was $450.00. Fun to remember the good old Days. Just my 2 cents worth.

Just dropped the hammer on a new Tikka build for the 6.5 max. I was wondering if Sherman Whidden die set came with the bushing. If not, what would you recommend for one. I was planning to use ADG 6.5 saum brass, but just found out that isn't gunna happen unless someone knows of a secret stash somewhere... What would you recommend for an alternative?

Just dropped the hammer on a new Tikka build for the 6.5 max. I was wondering if Sherman Whidden die set came with the bushing. If not, what would you recommend for one. I was planning to use ADG 6.5 saum brass, but just found out that isn't gunna happen unless someone knows of a secret stash somewhere... What would you recommend for an alternative?
There are no Whidden dies but I will have Hornady Match bushing dies soon. The 7 Max could be used now if they were bushed down. I will have head stamped 6.5 Max brass in July and 7 could be used now.

I have a pair of tikkas as hells canyon armory, getting 8 twist 26" bartlein carbon barrels put on them. They should be tooled up on the lathe in 3 weeks or so. Just waiting on my bolt to get back from nitride(had SAC flute it). These will be going into multicam painted xlr element 3.0 magnesium folding chassis. Rifles should be around 7.25# before optics.

Rich I have whidden 7max dies, will I be able to simply run a 290 bushing for thr 6.5 max? I'm really hoping so.

Recent Posts