6.5 Sherman load data needed

I do all my reloading at a friends house. So no notes here. But I was running the 140 Berger 15 thou off and it shot great. The 160 's shot ok in my gun but the 150 and 142 Matrix were better. Might want to anneal those 160's for long range work. I remember guys on here saying they were doing that. I did anneal 100 of them but ended up using something else so I have no on game performance I can share with the 160 Matrix.

So I finally found a good load using 65.5 GR N570 140 Berger , FED 210M at 50tho off this produced 3250 ft/sec loads shot at 200yards first picture is first 3 shots 1 inch group .5MAO next 2 inside that group after cool down then last one was shot just out side group but was a seating depth error on my part So 5 shot at.5MOA @200 Yards. Next test is 600 see how it groups out that far . 002.jpg

003.jpg

Ramrod what brass are you using? 64 gr of N570 was MAX in my Sherman with a 140 Berger. Nosler brass with speed at 3339 fps out of a 28" Hart. This was to hot in my gun and I backed it off after 100 rounds. Super accurate and fast, but hard on brass. What length of barrel do you have?

I use 270 Norma brass primers started to pancake at 66GR but ho sticky bolt lift but thought I was close so stayed with 65.5 ,and I had good speed as well. Iam shooting a 26 Benchmark . there is another guy form Can who helped me out a lot ,and he uses 64.5 out of a 26 inch tube ,and gets 3228 . My 64.5 load showed promise but was 31 and change so I kept going .

ramrod, glad to see your post. I have been doing some testing with Retumbo and RL-26 and 140 Berger's. I'm up to 3100 fps w/63 gr of Retumbo in Norma 280 brass (no pressure) and 3162 fps w/ 61 gr.
RL-26 (increasing bolt lift & slight smearing. 75*, 28.25hg, 60% humidity.

26" 5R 3B Bartlein, 8 twist, .235" FB, nitrided barrel with round count of 250, including fire forming Rds. So far, this doesn't seem to be a very fast barrel, but is shooting in the .2-.3 range @ 100. Everything I've shot so far is .020" off the lands, but will do seating depth test next.

I finally have some N-570 on the way, so it's good to see some data on it. Wondering if you've measured head expansion on your loads. Be sure and let us know us know how your primer pockets hold up. Also any data you get on 150 & 160 matrix w/N-570. Thanks for sharing.

All my fire forming was done with 60gr Retumbo and I think with out checking my book I was at 3029 I would bet you can get more put of your retumbo load yet. So far I'm at 100 ish rounds only 50 brass formed for now but I have just trimmed and resized and pockets are as tight as new.

Yes, I've still got room to go with Retumbo, but not much. Was gonna shoot seating depth test, but winds were too gusty today.

I probably won't push this rifle beyond 3175 fps until the round count is higher, just to be a little easier on brass. I wasn't going to use HBN on this rifle, but I may try it. I have 140s already coated for my 6.5-284s. We'll see where the Retumbo ends up. It's gonna be a long hot summer here, so you can't be too careful, about max loads - even with the extreme powders.

Here is another target with same load 3 shot group bottom hole is 2 holes( I had to check my backing to make sure ) last shot left I pulled I hope this shoots well a long way out .034.jpg

600 yard load verification 2 3 shot groups [/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0978.jpg
    IMG_0978.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 63
Not sure why pictures are turned but they need to go clockwise once so they sit properly but everyone should be able to figure out.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.