6.5 Sherman LA loading

coance

Just got my Sherman build done and have been fireforming brass. Would like to see what some others are using for loads,powders, bullets and COAL'S.
I now have 50 rounds of fireforming done. I have been using hornady 147 bullets over 56 grains reloder 23 powder. I average 3000 FPS with this and also get what I consider very good accuracy.
I have been seating them at 3.438 which was just a quick guess as to what to use. I just drilled and tapped a case to use a Hornady gauge and measured the COAL to be 3.520 for the 147,s and 3.500 for 142 SMK.
Please feel free to share what you use for loads and how the work for you.

I have the .297" no and .235 free bore, so I'm guessing same reamer. I'm at 1500 elev. and have 588 rds. thru this barrel. I like Retumbo best, but N-570 looks good, but I ran out. RL-26 is faster, but pressures up badly above 80+ degrees.

I shoot mostly 140 Berger hvlds with Retumbo. My accuracy load is 63.9-64.2 grs. @ 3150 fps. .015 jump, CBTO- 2.765". Working up a load for 150 Matrix vld, as we speak.

I agree with the N570 working really good. I topped out at 64 gr with a 140 gr Berger. MV of 3339 fps out of a 28" Hart, Borden action. As stated this is max in my gun. I have since dropped down to 63 gr to save my brass. Got some 147's to try this fall/winter.

N570 is very hard to come by here. I have plenty of RL 23 so thought I would explore it first. It works well in my 25-06 and 7 RM. If I can't get what I am want of it then I have Retumbo, H1000, RL 33, and H4831 SC to try.
All that being said I am just starting out with this and appreciate any and all information. This is my first wildcat so I am also having a learning curve.

I use 65.5 gr of N570, Norma 270 brass,140Berger vld ,fed 210m @ 3250 this is a super accurate load shoots 1/4 min out to 800 shot yesterday out of my custom with 26 inch Benchmark. I have also used retumbo with excellent results.
OAL to ogive is 3.415 50 tho off lands. 292 bushing
I have some 160 matrix to try one day as well until the 156 Berger comes out.

Just found what I thought was a good deal on Norma brass so I am going to switch to it. I have 100 cases that have been sized with a false shoulder and are ready to load. Will be loading some with RL23 and some with Retumbo. More to come

I am having very good results out of my fireforming load( 56 grains of RL 23) and was wondering how close the fireforming load is to the final load for most people.

When I did mine I fire formed COW method then ran full charge to square out. Rich will scold me for that but I had no issues and accuracy was there. They say to run a few grains light for first round then go nuts I was impatient.

I have loaded up another 100 rounds for fireforming. I had 62 of the 147 Hornady left then did the rest with 142 Sierra's. If the weather stays good I am planning on trying it out at 1000 yards tomorrow.

Good luck it's an awesome round I love mine will shoot less than half min at 1000 I just sent Rich some pics of 2 3/4 inch at 800. I'm rebarreling mine after hunting season as I want to shoot heavier bullets so I'm going to a 270 Sherman with 170 eol.
Should be a great round.

Farthest I have shot mine so far was 400. It would hold under half minute when I did my part . I have never fireformed cases before and was very surprised that it would do this well while moving that much brass. Like I said this is my first time fire forming and shooting a wildcat. So far I am loving the round.

It's a great round - I fireformed my brass with 53 gr of IMR 7828 SSC (figured I'd use up some powder I otherwise wasn't going to use). Groups with that load shot excellent (both cheap 140 gr soft points and 140 gr accubonds). I then switched to 140 VLDs and RL-26 to work up a hunting load. Settled on a load that produced 0.5 MOA and 3167 FPS. I could push it to 3230 or so, but groups opened up.

Shot a nice WY muley at 375 and cow elk at 583 last season.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.