6.5 Sherman build...

wilkup

Hey guys,
I thought I'd bring everyone along for my new semi custom rifle I have in the works. Originally I was thinking a 270 Ackley, but eventually was swayed by the Sherman case. After messaging back and forth with Rich, elkaholic, my curiosity got the better of me and I became interested in the 6.5 as well. Still dedicated to the 270, I began searching for barrels to put together a fairly quick build and kept coming up empty on the twist and contour I was looking for. Yesterday I became hooked on the 6.5 when I easily found the barrel I wanted with the right contour, twist and quality I was looking for; especially after running ballistics and finding Rich prefer the 6.5 over the 270 for the reasons I was realizing.

Here's the build hardware and I'll update with pictures when they become available:

Brand new, unfired 2nd gen stainless Howa 1500 270 Winchester (so I'll have a new, unfired, stainless 270 Win barrel if anyone's interested in buying)
Bell & Carlson Medalist stock with full aluminum skeleton
Bartlein 6.5 8'' twist 5R SS 3b 27''
Shrewn Radial Brake
Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x44 MOA
Weatherby Lightweight Talley Rings

Details:

I'm using a smith out of Plummer, ID - Sam Chapman.
He will be cutting to length (24'') and mounting the new barrel for me, attaching the brake and matching the barrel contour of it. He's also going to glass the action and barrel for me.
I plan to have 5 flutes cut in the barrel in the next couple months as well, but will hold off for now to save money. Once I have the barrel fluted, it's getting sent out to be cerakoted. Once that is complete I will have a finished rifle build exactly as I designed/want.

I hope to run the Matrix VLDs in this rifle for hunting and long range fun. Rich told me that Marshal has a new 150gr pushing a .317 BC with a lighter jacket that will open up down to 1700FPS! I hope to use this and the 160gr in this rifle once it's up and running!

CAN'T WAIT TO GET THE FINISHED PRODUCT AND TAKE IT OUT FOR HIGH BUCK, BEAR, AND ELK THIS SEASON!!!

Can anyone offer me information/recommendation on muzzle brakes? This rifle will be primarily a hunting rifle but also a precision target gun.
My smith uses the Shrewd muzzle brake which is a radial style sold by Brownells. I can opt to send mg own style in instead and have them mount/time it and am considering the Badger Thruster gunsmith model for this. I called Badger yesterday and was told the Thruster can be turned down to match barrel contour on my barrel.
It is my understanding shooting prone with a radial brake will blow dust into my eyes/optics and defeat the purpose of a brake because spotting shots becomes difficult/impossible...
Between these two brakes, which would you pick and why?

Side discharge all the way. I dont see any benefit to a radial brake. A couple brakes i would recommend. Muscle Brake from Piercision Rifles (i think thats who makes them now) probably want the mini magnum muscle brake. V-port vaporizer by Straight Shot Gunsmithing. Or if you want to plunk down some cash and dont mind having a huge brake on the gun, for the most recoil reduction out of any brake available, get the Assassin Muzzle Brake by J E Custom.

I'm going with a radial brake after all. I just talked to Sam today and he said he makes his own radial style that's very high quality and performs/lasts longer than the Shrewd brakes do.
I also decided I'm not going to wait on flutes/Cerakote finish. Figured I'm gonna spend the money on it anyways, why not get it done right now and get to enjoy it for my hunting season. Any opinions on finish color? My stock is the dark green with black spider-webbing...

lightbulbWatch out for those debris during prone shots!lightbulb
Yea, I thought about that. I'm just gonna see how it goes and if it blows stuff in my face, I'll just make sure I have a jacket, shirt, etc to lay down and keep the earth where it's supposed to be =)

Alright, I'm getting closer. Should have rifle back 1st week of August.
Today I picked up some MagPro, and got wait-listed for RL33 at a shops. Bought a case of CCI BR2 primers and ordered 100 pieces of Norma brass from Brownells.
Hoping to order some 142 and 150gr bullets from Marshal at Matrix tomorrow.
Excited!

Any opinions/thoughts on Matrix vs. Berger bullets for hunting?
Trying to decide between 140 Berger VLD and 142 Matrix VLD to start out with...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.