6.5 saum

I have a 6.5 SAUM and love it. The 6.5 SS sounds like an awesome caliber too. Not sure an animal would know the difference!

Probably not:D What is your capacity, max velocity, coal, etc.......Rich

I'm at 3111fps with the 140gr Berger VLD hunting and 61.2gr of H1000. Right at 3200fps with the 130gr Berger and 63gr of H1000. 2.915" COAL. I have a 24" 1-8.7 twist #3 barrel. I haven't had the chance to smack an animal with it but am looking reeeeal forward to the chance this season!

I'm at 3111fps with the 140gr Berger VLD hunting and 61.2gr of H1000. Right at 3200fps with the 130gr Berger and 63gr of H1000. 2.915" COAL. I have a 24" 1-8.7 twist #3 barrel. I haven't had the chance to smack an animal with it but am looking reeeeal forward to the chance this season!

Yup, I'm sure it will get the job done! Do you know what your capacity is?

Yup, I'm sure it will get the job done! Do you know what your capacity is?

I don't. I'm using Rem brass so I know I have a little more capacity than the Norma/Nosler stuff, but I'm not sure how much that is exactly. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the new Hornady 6.5 SAUM brass is when it becomes available this summer.

I don't. I'm using Rem brass so I know I have a little more capacity than the Norma/Nosler stuff, but I'm not sure how much that is exactly. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the new Hornady 6.5 SAUM brass is when it becomes available this summer.

Ya, that will be interesting for sure......Rich

I'm late to the show but is anyone running a criterion tube in cut with the ptg 6.5 SAUM parent case 7mm SAUM? Thanks in advance

I'm late to the show but is anyone running a criterion tube in cut with the ptg 6.5 SAUM parent case 7mm SAUM? Thanks in advance

I'm kind of wondering the same thing... I'm thinking of rebareling a savage with the criterion in 6.5 saum. For all practical purposes it looks like the reamer they use is pretty close to what GAP uses.

Thats what I had heard about the first batch, only lasting 2-3 firings. Supposedly the new batch of brass is better and achieving 7-8 loadings. Anyone have experience with this?

Thats what I had heard about the first batch, only lasting 2-3 firings. Supposedly the new batch of brass is better and achieving 7-8 loadings. Anyone have experience with this?

This is also what I have read on the hide and other places. Batch 2 is much better. Probably still not as good as Rich's brass for his SS though...

Scot E.

I can confirm the first batch of Hornady brass was disapointing. I sold most of mine and formed more out of norma brass instead.

George seemed pretty adamant that Hornady make changes to the second batch or he'd send it back. Time will tell how the second run turned out. Hopefully it's well because necking down and turning is a PITA.

I bought 100 rds of the second run of Hornady 6.5 brass. I'm testing that batch now. Will report back with findings.

I'm running the first batch of the Hornady brass in my 6.5saum. I got 6 loads on my first test batch and I was annealing every third firing. At the 6th firing groups opened up and started doing werid stuff. Never had an issue with the primer pockets expanding. New brass and groups shrunk back down. So on this next 20 piece I'm annealing every 2 firings.

My 6.5saum is the longer free bore .120" I use 140gr hybrids, 61.5gr of H1000 and CCI 250 with hornady brass. 3030FPS average.

When I reload I'm only bumping the shoulder back .002" with a FL bushing die.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts