6.5 SAUM - Was it a wise choice for Western hunting?

Braunschweiger

I had a custom 6.5 SAUM built by a very well known smith in MO. Firstly, rifle is incredible... he did a great job. It's a Bighorn Arms Origin action, Proof Research 26' Sendero threaded barrel, Wyatt's 300 WSM DBM, Triggertech Special Trigger, and Stocky's Carbon Fiber Long Range v2 stock. Using a Zeiss v6 Conquest 3-18x50 scope. Overall very lightweight and shoots great.

My debate now is that when I first had decided on this build, I did a bunch of research and waited about a year before pulling the trigger. I felt that since I do a lot of long range shooting, that accuracy always trumps caliber. With this being said, I decided that a 6.5 variant was a great choice for hunting my whitetails here in Missouri, but if I wanted to go out West (which I plan to next year for Antelope), my rifle would be great for any game up to Elk/Moose.

I know that what bullet you choose really makes the difference, especially when it comes to overall distance of the kill. However, my overall question is would I have been safer going with a 7mm or 308 caliber variant? I'm all about ethical kills, so even though I can, have, and will shoot over a mile... doesn't mean I will with an animal an front of me. For most shots 500 yards and in, with a good shot, am I safe for Moose/Elk? Or, should I step up to a long action like 7mm/300 mag or 280 AI, etc?

Luckily, with that action I can always have a prefit spun up in a different magnum caliber, like 7 SAUM to push 180's (in SA of course)

Thanks!
Darin

I know you will get disagreement from some but I have killed a ton of game with 6.5's in 6.5/06 A.I., 6.5 Sherman, and 6.
5 Sherman Shortmag. This includes a lot of elk and a Shiras moose at 906 yards.
Use the bullet for the job and choose your shots and the saum will work just fine.
And or course a 338 something is more forgiving................!

I know you will get disagreement from some but I have killed a ton of game with 6.5's in 6.5/06 A.I., 6.5 Sherman, and 6.
Use the bullet for the job and choose your shots and the saum will work just fine.
I guess I could take my 25 pound AXMC in 338 Lapua out there... may not make it up the mountain though! Lol

Additionally, I've looked into Hammer Bullets... been using ELD-X and ABLR so far with great success.

I had a custom 6.5 SAUM built by a very well known smith in MO. Firstly, rifle is incredible... he did a great job. It's a Bighorn Arms Origin action, Proof Research 26' Sendero threaded barrel, Wyatt's 300 WSM DBM, Triggertech Special Trigger, and Stocky's Carbon Fiber Long Range v2 stock. Using a Zeiss v6 Conquest 3-18x50 scope. Overall very lightweight and shoots great.

My debate now is that when I first had decided on this build, I did a bunch of research and waited about a year before pulling the trigger. I felt that since I do a lot of long range shooting, that accuracy always trumps caliber. With this being said, I decided that a 6.5 variant was a great choice for hunting my whitetails here in Missouri, but if I wanted to go out West (which I plan to next year for Antelope), my rifle would be great for any game up to Elk/Moose.

I know that what bullet you choose really makes the difference, especially when it comes to overall distance of the kill. However, my overall question is would I have been safer going with a 7mm or 308 caliber variant? I'm all about ethical kills, so even though I can, have, and will shoot over a mile... doesn't mean I will with an animal an front of me. For most shots 500 yards and in, with a good shot, am I safe for Moose/Elk? Or, should I step up to a long action like 7mm/300 mag or 280 AI, etc?

Luckily, with that action I can always have a prefit spun up in a different magnum caliber, like 7 SAUM to push 180's (in SA of course)

Thanks!
Darin

Thanks!
Darin

Your 6.5 will be perfect out west for elk or moose. Lots guys on here are going to claim you need some sort of a 300 magnum for elk and moose. These dudes are just trying to compensate for a small ——. Don't listen to them...I fell for that BS and had a 300 wby and 300 rum and now I shoot a 270 wsm and its hits elk just as hard as my rum - results have been the same, maybe a couple steps and dead. I am shooting 145gr eldx bullets. Before my 300 mag craze I was using a 25-06 and knocking the wind out of them with a 115gr berger. Most these guys claiming you have to shoot 300 mag are from back east and didn't grow up hunting them.

Nothing wrong with owning and hunting with the big mags, you just don't need them.

Last edited:
6.5 SAUM will be all you need out here. I've finally figured out I don't need 30 cal or greater to take large game and we all have stories of what worked and what didn't but it all boils down to a well placed shot. All my well placed shots have been effective from a 223 to 338 Edge with the same result. It is nice to now be able to carry a 6.5 lb setup in your backpack with low enough recoil to deliver and follow a great shot. A 6.5 lb 300 WSM is just hard to handle and following the shot to POI is nearly impossible. 6.5 SAUM is right in the sweet spot of being able to deliver great performance with minimal recoil. Come out west and enjoy some great long range hunting opportunities

Your 6.5 will be perfect out west for elk or moose. Lots guys on here are going to claim you need some sort of a 300 magnum for elk and moose. These dudes are just trying to compensate for a small pecker. Don't listen to them...I fell for that BS and had a 300 wby and 300 rum and now I shoot a 270 wsm and its hits elk just as hard as my rum - results have been the same, maybe a couple steps and dead. I am shooting 145gr eldx bullets. Before my 300 mag craze I was using a 25-06 and knocking the wind out of them with a 115gr berger. Most these guys claiming you have to shoot 300 mag are from back east and didn't grow up hunting them.

Nothing wrong with owning and hunting with the big mags, you just don't need them.

FIGJAM

Watch your language.

WARNING

Your 6.5 will be perfect out west for elk or moose. Lots guys on here are going to claim you need some sort of a 300 magnum for elk and moose. These dudes are just trying to compensate for a Don't listen to them...I fell for that BS and had a 300 wby and 300 rum and now I shoot a 270 wsm and its hits elk just as hard as my rum - results have been the same, maybe a couple steps and dead. I am shooting 145gr eldx bullets. Before my 300 mag craze I was using a 25-06 and knocking the wind out of them with a 115gr berger. Most these guys claiming you have to shoot 300 mag are from back east and didn't grow up hunting them.

Most people cant shoot the big cartridges, (raises hand)! You're far better off to shoot something you can handle choose a good bullet and make a good shot. JMO

6.5 SAUM is way more than a 6.5creedmoor. With the right shot and right bullets it will take Elk. As an antelope or mule deer rifle it is about perfect balance. I've taken a lot of Elk with 270 and 7mm/06AI but I have to admit I really like a big 300 or 338 for elk or moose. I shoot a lot and they take a lot more practice than any 6.5!
Good Luck and keep us posted!

I think your 6.5 was a wise choice you will be just fine with western hunting with that.
I have had a couple Sherman's built the best one being a 6.5 Sherman. I only used 140VLD in it no issues Alberta Bull Moose 405 yards tipped in his tracks. With all the quality bullets out there you can't go wrong. Once I'm tired of this 338Sherman Short I'll have a 6.5 Sherman Max spun up and go back to my 140s.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.