6.5 saum reamer confusion

Highvoltage

I want to start by saying this is an awesome site, I've read through hundreds of posts and enjoy all the knowledge you guys have for long range hunting and shooting. This is my first post as I am just getting my feet wet for a long range build. I know there are a few different 6.5 SAUM reamers out. Which reamer do I need in order to use factory Hornady/gap brass (6.5 SAUM). Trying to iron out the details before the barrel is chambered. I want to go with the gap 4s 6.5saum, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Depends on what bullet you are going to shoot and if you want to turn case necks or not. I used the .120 free bore for heavier bullets like the 147 ELD. It has a .2962 neck which requires me to turn the case necks down to gain enough clearance for the bullet to release properly. I believe the older reamer has a .081 free bore and can be a no neck turn reamer.

If you want to use hornady or the new ADG brass you will want a reamer with a .2962" neck. You can get the .2962" in .081" FB or the .120" FB. if you want to shoot VLD's (Berger, JLK) then go .081". If hornady bullets are in your future, I'd recommend getting the .120" or if you want to really optimize it somewhere between .150-.160" FB would be perfect.

I use the .081 with 140 vlds without any issues with brass. I have used hornady,bertram,and adg brass.
I know people that use the .120 and they don't turn brass.
My thoughts are that the free bore is set longer if you plan on shooting longer heavy bullets. It shouldn't require you to turn the neck of your brass by changing it unless the neck is cut to tight. Or tight with the intention of turning brass.
I may be wrong here as I'm not a smith.

I have one built on a lone peak razor ti short action, .2962 neck, .098 freebore. My new one is being built on a Tikka t3, it's going to have same neck diameter, but the freebore will be around .180 or so.

Depends on what bullet you are going to shoot and if you want to turn case necks or not. I used the .120 free bore for heavier bullets like the 147 ELD. It has a .2962 neck which requires me to turn the case necks down to gain enough clearance for the bullet to release properly. I believe the older reamer has a .081 free bore and can be a no neck turn reamer.

i have a .081 freebore and .2962 neck in one of my saums and with bertram brass i have to neck turn. didn't with the hornady but the 700 of hornady i had all had primer pocket issues. norma brass still holding strong

I use the .081 with 140 vlds without any issues with brass. I have used hornady,bertram,and adg brass.
I know people that use the .120 and they don't turn brass.
My thoughts are that the free bore is set longer if you plan on shooting longer heavy bullets. It shouldn't require you to turn the neck of your brass by changing it unless the neck is cut to tight. Or tight with the intention of turning brass.
I may be wrong here as I'm not a smith.
Their are several different reamers some are .120 FB no neck turn and some have the .2962 neck.

Their are several different reamers some are .120 FB no neck turn and some have the .2962 neck.

I am running a 6.5 GAP 4S with 140 grain berger VLD hunting bullets. I built it as a dual purpose PRS and hunting rifle which is why I chose the .120 FB and .296 neck size.

I run copper creek brass which is much higher quality than hornady and a custom Redding die set that allows me to custom match the neck with the type S bushing

6.5 saum adg brass is being shipped to the listed vendors on their website, get in touch and reserve yours now!