6.5 saum or 7mm saum

Konnorbrown

Can't decide what to go with. Gun will be mainly used for hunting and banging steel. Would like to get back into shooting competition again at some point and would probably go to a few f class matches. Any input would be great

I shoot the 6.5 GAP 4S (6.5 RSAUM) for some matches and I enjoy the cartridge and load performance. However, the 7mm RSAUM can be just a satisfying when you get the right combination of bullet and powder for performance. The Berger Hybrids work well for both, the 6.5 though is little better on the drop and the 7mm is better on the drift at 1,000 yards. The recoil for the 6.5 is a little less based on the 140 gr. bullets compared to the 180 gr. 7mm bullets. Run a 30" barrel and go shoot!

Ive got a sub 6 lb 6.5 saum and really like it. With 147's it still produces light recoil.
Both choices are great but if you plan on shooting a lot the 6.5 will be much more enjoyable

I shoot the 6.5 GAP 4S (6.5 RSAUM) for some matches and I enjoy the cartridge and load performance. However, the 7mm RSAUM can be just a satisfying when you get the right combination of bullet and powder for performance. The Berger Hybrids work well for both, the 6.5 though is little better on the drop and the 7mm is better on the drift at 1,000 yards. The recoil for the 6.5 is a little less based on the 140 gr. bullets compared to the 180 gr. 7mm bullets. Run a 30" barrel and go shoot!
Thanks for the advice! I've been keeping an eye out for a 7mm saum for sale on here

The more powder burned for a given caliber, the less barrel life it has.

Did a study of Sierra Bullets test barrels and those of top ranked competitors for barrel life. For best accuracy, all caliber's lives were about 3000 rounds when charge weight in grains had the same number as bore cross section area in square millimeters; bore capacity. Double the charge weight and lives were one fourth as much, 750 rounds. Increase charge weight by 1.4 times and barrel life is 1500 rounds; half as much. Example, 308 Win has bore area and capacity of about 46 and 3000 round barrel life. 300 Wby Mag burning 92 grains of powder, 750 rounds of match barrel life.

The standard for match grade barrels was 1/4 MOA average groups at short range when new, then opening up to 3/8 MOA average. Hunting barrels start at 3/4 to 1 MOA then die at 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 MOA around 6000 rounds. Service rifles twice the group sizes as that of hunting ones, 9000 round lives.

Hotter burning powders give 10% to 15% less life than cooler ones.

I'd pick the 7mm Rem SAUM as the best compromise.

Another consideration may be energy and intended game. You said hunting, so if your mainly after deer, then I would go 6.5, however if you plan on hunting elk with it, the 7mm would be my choice. Not that the 6.5 won't do it, I kill elk with a .260ai, but the 7mm will just do it better. 180 will have a good bit more energy at a given range than a 140, not to mention larger bullet diameters tend to kill better, even with the same energy.

One more thing to think about, possibly look at the 6.5mm and 7mm sherman shortmags, if you don't mind fireforming they will net you a decent amount of performance over the SAUM, and headstamped brass is now available by ADG. Also, you will have a shorter OAL with a given bullet in the SS, and likely be able to feed in a short action.

I've been doing a bit of reading on the shermans. They definitely have my interest. Depends on what I find for sale if it's built with what I want I may go with either.

All a short action does is cut 3/4" off the length of the rifle. It does make them a little handier feeling and a little lighter. If the ounces and 3/4" are not a big deal the long action does offer advantages. I have built the 7saum and 6.5 saum on shorts and have had no issue with accuracy or velocity with the bullets seated deeper in the case, but it does require a little more attention during the reloading process regarding the doughnut in the case and pressure ring on the bullet. Both of which can almost be ignored if the rifle is throated for the long bullets and the pressure ring kept in the resized portion of the neck.

The only 7 SAUM I have is in a Remington Model Seven SS with a factory 22" barrel. I love that rifle. I haven't run into any issues with reloading or seating depth. However, I only load 140 and 160 grain Accubonds and Partitions.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts