6.5 SAUM N570 140 Berger

Shot some groups @200yds the last 2 evenings. Everything looks good so far. I think I'm going to go with 62.7gr @.030 jump and see how it does at distance. Crops are coming out of the field now so maybe I'll be able to try some longer range shooting soon. Going to run quick temp test too.

View attachment 214451

The one thing I will say is that this powder leaves a noticeable amount of carbon compared to H1000. Typically 4-6 patches of Boretech, 20-30 strokes of the nylon brush and 15 mins to soak and this barrel comes out clean. With n570 I'm up to like 12-15 wet patches and 50 strokes. Then after soaking it takes another 2-5 wet patches and a few dry to totally clean it out. Not a show stopper but something to think about.
You can plug your muzzle with a foam earplug and fill the bore full to the chamber with boretech carbon remover. Let it set for 3-6 days. It will soften up the carbon dramatically. Drain and run 3-6 dry patches through. Then run 3-6 wet patches through. Brush neck area as needed with nylon brush. Run 3-6 More wet patches through until comes out with no carbon residue. Dry out bore & chamber.

I can get the carbon deposits out. That's not an issue. I was just noting that this powder has noticeably more carbon after shooting compared to H1000. Eliminator and a brush is getting it done without a problem so far.

I understand. I've ran n570 in a few different cartridges & calibers. It's dirty, and it's even more so dirtier depending on what cartridge & barrel length combo it's ran in.

8133 may be a disappointment, I tried it in my 6.5max and pressured out at the same velocity as H1000 and N565 with 156 bergers. N570 is very dirty like Rl33. I clean my rifles that run those powders ever 30 rounds usually. N570 and RL33 will get better speeds, but Rl33 is temp sensitive. Rl26 will be the best combination of speed and keeping barrel less fouled.

I only used 26 once when I was testing the 150s a few years back. But you are correct, it was far less carbon residue.

I'm sure a suitable load for R23 can be found but there have been a lot of guys who've found success with R26. I don't have any experience with R23 to help give you a starting point either.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.