6.5 SAUM magazine length?

yote doctor

Hello. I will be shooting the following bullets:

140gr Berger
143 Hornaday

I've been told that it would be wise to use the "Wyatt's" magazine due to longer overall length. This requires a little work to receiver mag well and bolt stop.

Chambered from a "no turn" reamer and will be set up for these larger bullets...

My question to you guys out there using these larger bullets: Are you able to use the AI mags with your loads or are you using the Wyatts? Would it be smart to just set it up for the Wyatts mag just to be safe.

Thanks
Brian

A couple different reamers out there.

I just had one built with a 6.5 GAP 4S reamer by TS Customs.

Here's what Travis gave me for starting points:

2.895" OAL is lands with 140 Berger Hybrid (-.02" to -.03" for Hunting VLD)

2.875" OAL is lands with 147 Hornady (147g or 143g ELD)

I should have the rifle tomorrow (UPS). I had mine built on a Defiance Deviant XM action, 3.2" Mag box, to make sure it could handle newer 6.5 bullets coming out.

Last edited:
My 6.5 is the RSAUM version, I had it throated out to where the 147 ELD M has an oal of 2.97". I built mine on along action so there's plenty of room in the mag.
Just make sure you've got at least 3" of mag length and you'll be good.
If you haven't bought the barrel yet I would highly recommend getting a 1:7.5 twist to maximize stability and bc of the awesome heavy for caliber bullets that are coming out.

My 6.5 is the RSAUM version, I had it throated out to where the 147 ELD M has an oal of 2.97". I built mine on along action so there's plenty of room in the mag.
Just make sure you've got at least 3" of mag length and you'll be good.
If you haven't bought the barrel yet I would highly recommend getting a 1:7.5 twist to maximize stability and bc of the awesome heavy for caliber bullets that are coming out.
+1 to the 1:7.5 twist. That's what I used (Bartlein barrel).

I assume you are using a 700 based on your comments. For my build, the 140 Berger VLDs seated to the neck shoulder junction had a COAL of 2.88". The same seating for the ELD 143 would be close to 3". I built my 6.5 SAUM on a savage to get some extra room in the magazine over the 700.

It is a Rem 700 action. I decided to go with Wyatts box mag so I have enough room for either bullet. 3" should get me what I need. Thanks guys

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.