6.5 Remington Magnum

malcarjeb

Hey, can anyone tell me anything about the 6.5 rem. mag.? Things i am looking for are: case capicity,velocity with 100-120gr. bullets and accuracy. How does it compare, volume wise, with the rem. saum case?

Thanks for your help.

Hey LTH

I am seriously considering rebarreling to a 6.5 rem mag. The link to ReloadersNest will show that there is no information on that caliber. They do have some loads listed for it though.

The best place to get diagrams of the actual case dimensions is Ricciardelli's webpage at http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm . There is not a lot of info out there but it should be a helluva caliber and it is the only 6.5 that will fit my bolt.

You can still get Remington brass. There are dies but I will have to have a Lee Collet made for it or possibly use the 6.5x55 Swede Collet die and Lee Factory Crimp. Redding will make a Body Die and RCBS says I can use one of their Competition Seaters in a 6.5x55 Swede.

Let us know what you decide.

Johnnyk,
The 7mm SAUM has a case capacity of about 75grs. and the
6.5 Rem Mag has about 68grs. When you neck down the 7mm to 6.5 you will loose a couple of grains, so they should be close.

Woods,

I like the 6.5's. I already have 6.5 WSM, 264 Win Mag,and 6.5 RUM. I have a new Remington PSS in 7mm Rem Mag just wanting to become a 6.5 Rem Mag. Being a short version of the 7mm the magazine will work perfectly. I think the 6.5 would be great with the medium weight bullets in the 100-120grs. A lot of people give the 6.5's a bad rap for no reason. Like the 264. WM being a barrel burner, which it can be, but you hardly ever hear that about the .257 Wby. Mag which is more overbore than the .264. The 6.5 Rem mag has never been given a chance either. Remington has brought the 6.5 back out but need to chamber the round in better looking rifles than that 673.

The brass I have found is cheaper than the SAUM and reasonably priced. Redding and RCBS both stock standard FL dies and Redding offers a type S bushing die that can be ordered. It looks as if the materials would not be hard to find.

I'm pretty sure I'll go with the 6.5RM, can't fine anything negitive about it. The people who have give them a try love-um.

The 6.5 Rem Mag has a belt. Why would you want to contend with the belt when you dont have to? I would think the 6.5 WSM would be a better choice with better case capacity.

Freebore,
Yes it has a belt. But that does not affect my 7mm RM or my 264 WM. I have never had a problem with a belt or accrucy. Both are very accurate. A belt is not an issue to me.

As i stated i have a 6.5 WSM already and just want something different with less case capacity and still have good velocity.

just what all falls under the term "contend with"? the belt is there, doesn't hurt anything, doesn't really do anything, you resize to headspace on the shoulder like it should and the belt doesn't matter
JS

Go with the 6.5 Rem Mag. I had one in the original Model 700, it was a great shooter and the recoil was amazingly light. I probably should have kept it but the barrel was a little pitted and I had a chance to trade it for something a lot more valuable. I would love to build another one, maybe on a savage action.

Rem 600 got 3000 FPS with 120gr with factory loads.....very close too 270 Win in performance from a 18.5" barrel.

I use 125 Nosler Part and 55.0 of IMR 4350 using CCI 250 and RP Brass....very good load!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.