6.5 Rem mag

deerwatcher

I'm just getting started in reloading and long range shooting and have decided to build a 6.5 rem mag and am looking for any tips. Its going to be used for deer,goats and a few yotes. I want something that will shoot in the 6-800 yard range. My budget is kinda limited so i was thinking of $1000-1200 range just for the gun and would like to build off a savage.Can someone point me in the right direction, what platform barrel,stock. Please keep in mind i would like to keep the gun light say 10lbs.
Any info would be great.

If you aren't stuck on a custom build, you could buy a factory Savage that will do everything you want and a lot cheaper! They don't make it in 6.5 R.M to my knowledge, but they do make a 6.5/284 which would be a great choice. If you still want to go custom, you could pick up a Savage or remington action and go from there. For under ten lbs. you could probably go up to about a #6 contour or some of the varmint contours as well as Palma. Good luck!.....Rich

If you aren't stuck on a custom build, you could buy a factory Savage that will do everything you want and a lot cheaper! They don't make it in 6.5 R.M to my knowledge, but they do make a 6.5/284 which would be a great choice. If you still want to go custom, you could pick up a Savage or remington action and go from there. For under ten lbs. you could probably go up to about a #6 contour or some of the varmint contours as well as Palma. Good luck!.....Rich

Not a bad option. If you have a action already check out pacnor barrels.

I'm not stuck on a custom but everything I've read on the 6.5rm I like and the 6.5-.284 sounds kinda like a barrel burner and has a little more recoil.
What savage action would work best.

I'm not stuck on a custom but everything I've read on the 6.5rm I like and the 6.5-.284 sounds kinda like a barrel burner and has a little more recoil.
What savage action would work best.

I don't know why a 6.5 rem mag would be any easier on barrels or kick any less than a 6.5/284? If anything, the 6.5 rem has a little more case capacity than the .284. Any Savage with enough bolt throw to handle your case. The '06 length would be good. You could even get the stevens 200 which is the same action but a cheaper rifle. You would have to add a trigger on the stevens as they are pretty bad.......Rich

If you want a repeater, you will have to get there Savage LA with either DBM or internal box mag. If you want a single shot, you can use the target action for long action cartridges. Midway sells a 6.5x47 Shilen match barrel already threaded to fit a Savage action. I would buy that and have it reamed to what ever caliber you choose for your 6.5 cal. Buy a Choate or Bell and Carlson stock. You should be able to keep it right at or a little below $1200. The assembly and reaming are going to be the expensive portion of the build. Now if you think you can assemble on your own, look at buying a barrel nut wrench, barrel vise, and head spacing gauge. With that equipment you could put it together your self. Just remember, the more specialized the caliber, the more money to get started. The 6.5x284 or 264 Win Mag may be a good compromise.

Tank

I do want a repeater and the reason i want 6.5rm is the lower recoil than the 6.5/284.

Savage Arms Firearms > sporter This would be a good action for a repeating long action if a long action is needed. If not than the short action will work just fine.

Here is the DBM version.
Savage Arms Firearms > varmint

Being a magnum and capable of pushing heavier, longer bullets, then the long action with hinged floor plate would be the way to go for plenty of room to hit the lands and fit the magazine. Go for the Rem Mag. Sounds like and interesting cartridge. Dead is dead when it comes to filling the freezer no matter what caliber you use. I'd like to see it when your finished.

Tank

I do want a repeater and the reason i want 6.5rm is the lower recoil than the 6.5/284.

I think you've made a good choice. When I was considering a 6.5, the 6.5 RM was high on my list.

Just a couple of things to consider, getting your barrel chambered will be one of the easiest things to do. Your smith can rent a reamer (then you get what you get as far as your cartridges fitting in the SA magazine)(like my 7 SAUM :D) or you can purchase your chamber reamer and your smith can grind it to your specs. Then you get exactly what you want, but pray you love that cartridge...$$ and you will be able to build rifles in that caliber from now on. :D

Also you might want to check on price and availability of reloading dies in 6.5 RM. It was never very popular and dies might be a little hard to come by. I found dies for the 6.5 WSM (a wildcat) right away, the 6.5 RM...not so much. If your budget won't support custom dies, then the 6.5 x 284 or 264 WM will be easier to find dies for. You could always download these last two to get the velocities you have in mind.

Good Shooting and I want to see the pix

JM .02

I responded to this same question of yours on the LRS forum. Ballistically & Recoil wise you are splitting a very fine hair. I strongly doubt you would be able to detect a difference in recoil between the two in a 10lb rifle. You might be able to detect a difference if you thru a 260 into the mix.

All of the responses here have been hitting on this same basic point; when doing a LR Rifle build it is a multi-factoral project. That includes the cartridge you select.

IMHO, the guys here have given you some good advice. The 6.5x284 (Lapua version) has some "hidden benefits".

#1 on my list is the supply of high quality brass for the 6.5x284, with the 6.5 Rem Mag you selection of brass is very limited.

#2 on my list is the number of rifle smith's that are familiar with the 6.5x284 vs. 6.5 Rem Mag. The number of smith's out there who know with a high degree of certianty prior to cutting a chamber what it will take to make the 6.5x284 shoot out number those familar with the 6.5 Rem Mag.

#3 on my list would be the quantity of long throated (6.5x284 Lapua) reamers out there as compared the availablility of 6.5 Rem Mag reamers. If you go with a 6.5 Rem Mag, you should seriously consider buying a reamer therefore you will be assured of having a throat cut to your spec's.

From here you still have to consider barrel length and contour, muzzle brake - yes or no, blue print the action - yes or no, scope mounts - 20 moa rail or flat rail, optics - 30mm tube or 1" tube, MD or... ? and oh yea the stock.

Regarding optics, the price of a middle of the road LR scope is $1000.

If you want to keep the package price @ $1000, you should give the Tikka T3 Varmint Rifle a serious look. Last I checked, I think they are available in the low recoil 6.5x55 Sweede.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm kinda stuck on the 6.5 RM for some reason. I have done a lot of reading on both and just decided thats the one I want.
As for the total package i just wanted to keep the gun around a $1000 and about the same for a scope.
So i talked to a guy which seems very knowledgable and he said i dont need a long action that a savage 110 .243 or .308 will work (just change the bolt head), is this true?
what caliber do you guys suggest
I checked brass and it seems like midway has a good supply of remington.
I'm new to all of this so please be patient with me I'm trying to do all the reading i can but that only goes so far.
Thanks,
Casey

Yes that is correct. It just requires that the longer 6.5mm bullets be seated deep enough to function in you magazine. Make sure you have the gun smith adjust the throat depth in the barrel accordingly.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.