6.5 Rem Mag.

rwk

Have any one done one of these up. I'm going to use a savage long action and a shaw barrel what do u folks think.

rwk, that is a good deer caliber. Savage action Shaw barrel you can't go wrong. The only concern would be if you could find ammo or if you reload finding brass might be difficult. One of the other 6.5s might be a better option, just saying. gun)

rwk, that is a good deer caliber. Savage action Shaw barrel you can't go wrong. The only concern would be if you could find ammo or if you reload finding brass might be difficult. One of the other 6.5s might be a better option, just saying. gun)

I got about a 100 pc's of brass, never fired.

Thats a good start, so, your going to load your own. There is alot of infomation on loading 6.5 mag. A friend of mine had a Rem. model 660 in the 6.5 mag. and he done well with it. I don't know for sure but I think he used 140 gr. Sierra Game King bullets. Brass, powder and primers I did not ask him but I could find out for you.gun)

My buddy had one of the Rem. 660s for a wile and he used 120 Sierra SP and killed a good deal of deer with it. Worked great. I could never understand why Remington took a big old case like this and only used a little 18 1/2" barrel. Kind of like putting a big 427 V8 in a hot rod and removing 6 of the spark plugs. I would go with at least a 24" barrel and longer would not hurt and let her rip.

You might want to go with a barrel co. that will cut your chamber to match your dummy round. Shaw will not not do this, they will cut it to factory specs. Using a long action you want to be able to seat those long bullets out in the neck, not have them protrude into the case and take up powder space. Search 6.5 Rem mag here, woods has done a lot with this cartridge and has a lot of good info. Good luck

I never knew Shaw only cut to factory specs. But your right a cartridge like that you'll want to be able to get all you can out it and from what I've seen the 6.5mag. has plenty to give.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.