6.5 rem mag necked up to .30 cal?

predator1

my cousin and i were talking and he had been looking into building a 6.5 rem mag but wondered had anyone have info on necked up 6.5 to .30 cal rem mag? sounds like a interesting idea.

I would think that since the advent of the 300 WSM and the 300 Rem SAUM, it would make a lot more sense to go with either of them. No belt. Factory ammo available. Factory dies available.
But hey, when did "wildcatters" ever have to behave sensibly?

i built one of these more than 20 years ago on a mod 7 action. it was the biggest case i could put in a short action. i had a 22" 11 twist barrel that would shoot 150 gr bullets around 3100 if i remember right. it was quite a deer hammer. never shot it that much, still have the barrel and dies. probably only has 200 rounds out of it. even has a muzzle brake that was turned down to the profile of the barrel. i used 6.5 brass and pushed them out to 30 cal.

When I rebarreled a gun to 6.5 rem mag a friend asked me to take a case and step it up to 30 caliber for him to see how it would look. I recall that it held about the same amount of powder as a 30-06 or 30-06AI case.

Guess it would be sorta novel as a short action 30-06 but you would have problems with the bullet intruding on powder space if you were not careful. We decided that it would not show any advantages over his 30-06AI and would not be up to 300 WSM performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.