6.5 rem mag...Maybe

muleyman

I have an old Rem 7mm mag that I was pondering about doing something with and was thinking about the 6.5 rem. My reasons are....just shy of the 264 win, still uses the mag bolt face, no custom dies and such and should be a decent mid to longish range hunting rig . I already have another 7mm mag as well as a few other 284's, a 300 win and when things need to go a little bigger, a factory 338 RUM. I just thought something smaller might be in order. The other rifles, I'm really not interested in changing and this one is about it. Also not really thinking of selling for use as a down payment on something more custom, (Don't know why just have a hard time selling them once I get 'em).

As far as reloading ability, as long as it's not necking down a 50 BMG to a .257, I should be able to do it so I was seeking your guys' thoughts and ideas. Also was planning on keeping it to really no longer than a 26" tube if that changes anything. At this point, I'm more thinking out load, however I'm starting to get the itch. Thanks in advance...........

Hey muleyman, I have rebarreled 300 win mags to the 6.5 rem mag twice. One was a Browning BBR 300 win mag with a detachable magazine and a long jump to the lands. It got a #4 Douglas 1 in 8 XX barrel finished at 26". The other was for a friend who liked my gun so much he wanted one. His was a Weatherby Vanguard 300 win mag and got a #4 Shilen 1 in 9 barrel.

The win mags make a good platform for the 6.5 rem mag since you can have it throated to seat those long 6.5 bullets way out there
HPIM1163.jpg

HPIM1162.jpg

Here is a pic of the finished product with a McMillan stock
DSCN1248.jpg

DSCN1246.jpg

With a 26" barrel and reloading it is easy to get 3100 fps with a 130 gr bullet and 3000 fps with a 140 gr bullet. I have gone higher and have never hit any pressure signs so those numbers could be exceeded quite easily.

Presently I am shooting the 130 gr Scirrocco II
300yds.jpg

but it will also shoot the 140 gr bullets well
DSCN0373.jpg

The neck on mine is .293" which means I have to turn the Remington brass down which is typically .014" to .015" thick.

Essentially it is similar ballistically to the 270 and recoil is also similar.

BTW, I have also gone the other way and rebarreled a 264 win mag into a 375 Ruger. Also and excellent conversion but another story entirely and much less pleasant to shoot.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.