6.5 rem mag case forming

cowboy717

I'm looking into the venture of forming brass for the 6.5rem mag. I've always had a soft spot for the caliber and don't know why it didn't catch on as well as the 6.5x284 since they have very similar case capacities, and i would think would be a little bit more effiecent with the shorter and fatter powder column.
so here is my concern, this will be my first venture in this type of forming. i have reloaded for a while now, but have no experience in neck turning/reaming and annealing.
Looking into buying a form die to make brass out of 7mm rem mag/ 338 win mag/ 300 win mag.
Any and all advice would be great.
Thanks all.

Let us know how it turns out. There are very few of us 6.5 Rem Mag shooters out here

I still have plenty of cases and don't use them that much. Found my load and it just goes hunting now. Amazing how few loads you use when you only shoot at game.

Hey my brother sold his gun and found a bunch more boxes of live rounds and I think once fired brass. In Calgary Alberta. If you are interested PM me. It's an awesome caliber. Problem he had was too short a barrel and too short a magazine. Some one should build it with a 22 inch barrel.

morning, is this a custom rifle or a standard short barrel. I have a custom made 6.5 Mag. on a Remington 721 la action shilen 27.5 barrel, A-5 stock. I set the trigger myself. Did the fitting in the stock myself, has alum. bedding block.
Most rem. 6.5M have a short throat to factory spec's.
I had a problem with the bullet being seated to deep into the casing, my rifle would not shoot 120's or 140's.
So I ventured into the Lapua bullet maker. These bullets r long ogive and seat deeper in the chamber. I shoot the 6.5 GB464 108gr. HPBT Scenar. I did get a box of sierra's in the same weight range. have not tried them. the lapua shoot very well. These bullets r 1" plus in length, the bullet stabilities very well. The groups r .50 and down.
I shoot to form the brass to the chamber, then neck size to reload.

my load is 60grs ramshot mag. 215, Remington cases and the Lapua bullets. Its said the 6.5M has the same ballistics as the 270Win. So b it. Very little recoil. fun to shot, and is an instant killer. very good to 400yrs.
this is our preference.
if u have the rifle built, ask the smith to add length to the chamber, so u can seat the standard weight bullets out of the case further.

Shoot Shoot Shoot practice makes perfection.

T U M Just Countrygun)

Im interested in building a custom in the old 6.5. But building it in a single shot so im thinking about having it long throated for 130-140 gr vld bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts