6.5 REM. MAG/6.5X284 SHORT/LONG

BIGMEAT

HI, EVERYBODY I'M NEW BUT HAVE BEEN READING FOR A WHILE. MY ?? IS ABOUT THE 6.5 REM. MAG., NOBODY TALKS ABOUT THIS ROUND AT ALL. DOESN'T IT PERFORM VERY MUCH LIKE THE POPULAR 6.5X284. ALSO, IF I WOULD BUILD EITHER OF THESE COULD I USE A SHORT ACTION OR NEED A LONG ACTION TO UTILIZE THE LONG 6.5 BULLETS.

THANKS

Big,

Your alot better off going with the 6.5/284, you can find really good brass for this caliber, im not sure if you can even find 6.5 rem brass, if this is going to be a target/varmint gun go with the short action if its for hunting your going to need the long action avoid seating/feeding problems.
Good Shootin,
Brian

I have both a 6.5 Rem mag and 6.5x284 both are 1000 yard prone target guns. 6.5 Rem mag brass is avaliable. Brass quality is good. In my 30" barrels I can get up to 3300fps with the 6.5 Remington and about 3100 with the 6.5x284. Both are very good combinations. I have shot out several barrels in both calibers. Accuracy wise I can tell no difference. If you want to call and discuss my number is 919-562-6759.

Corbin Shell

Corbin,

who makes brass for that 6.5? a friend of mine has one, and hes ran out of factory shells and he threw away the brass, so i cant reload for it.
Thanks,
Brian

SINCE REM IS NOW SELLING THE 6.5MAG IN THEIR MOD673 I HOPE THEY START MAKING THE BRASS TOO.
I WONDER IF I COULD STILL USE A SHORT ACTION TO BUILD THE 6.5MAG BECAUSE THE CASE LENGTH IS SHORTER THAN THE 284??
DO GUYS EVER BUILD ON THE MODEL 7 ACTION??WHY NOT??
I HAVE AN OLD REM MODEL 600 350 MAG MY WIFE JUST BOUGHT ME FOR CHRISTMAS. I'M LOOKING FOR A 6.5MAG SISTER GUN IF ANYBODY KNOWS WHERE I CAN GET ONE.
THANKS FOR THE INPUT FELLAS!

BIGMEAT:
First off hello, Second please take your Caps lock off. All caps mean your are shouting. So PLEASE! turn the caps off.
Thank you.
I just had a 6.5 X284 built on a 700 Remington action. The reason I went with the 6.5 X284 is due to the reputation of the cartrage. This is my first 6.5 and I have yet to shoot it.
Take care.
smile.gif

Hey baldeagle713, let us know how you like that new rifle. I'm considering rebarreling for the 6.5-284 my self. Is this a bench gun, tacticle maybe?

Bench! it's on a master 1000 BR stock, 8.5 X 25 Leupold LRT on top 30 Inch Krieger Barrel
grin.gif
NOTHIN Special
smile.gif

Gotta get the Building fees Paid before I can shoot it. They are funny that way.
grin.gif

As far as the KICK goes, I have a 300 WSM in a 16.4LB BR gun SO I'm not afraid of a little recoil. Just ask BOYD about the first time I shot his 7MM STW! :)

[ 02-24-2004: Message edited by: baldeagle713 ]
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.