6.5 PRC

stephenr6565

has anyone done a 6.5 PRC build yet if so what is your thoughts of the cartridge I have a Winchester featherlite in a 270 WSM that has never really shot good & had feeding issues. It just sits in the gun safe so I'm thinking of doing a short action build I'm leaning towards the 6.5 PRC one question I have is do they use the same bolt face?

Last edited:
Same face.

Never shot one but pretty interested in it and leaning that way for a practice barrel on the rifle I'm building.

Seems to be a 6.5 SAUM that hornady threw their factory ammo behind. Something good to be said about being able to buy hornady match and precision hunter off the shelf. It shoots a lot better than it should for factory ammo in my experience with 6.5 Creed

I would like to see this round in more factory models, I guess time will tell. It looks like a good one to me, but that is based off my only 6.5 experience ( .260, then a 6.5/284, no shots on game over 325yds).

Last edited:
20180421_140632-1.jpg
Just finished my PRC a couple weeks ago. Did some break in last weekend and will start workingon loads this weekend .
Sweet rifle to shoot.

I would like to see this round in more factory models, I guess time will tell. It looks like a good one to me, but that is based off my only 6.5 experience ( .260, then a 6.5/284, no shots on game under 325yds).
Same here, I would rather use common chamberings, I have a long action Remington I can use, not sure i want to do that. A Kimber WSM action seems the right length though. I am surprised Ruger has not offered one as yet.

Large bolt face tikka is a good option for the 6.5 PRC. 150gr SMK in a tikka 300 WM magazine (attached photo). No mag modification required to load and feed flawlessly.
View attachment 97117

Now to see if there's a way that could be mated to a Remington clone...

Ok, so that's easy. The trick is finding a DBM setup that gives enough length for the PRC's 2.91" COAL while mating to a short action (e.g. the Nucleus I have on order). It'd be even more gravy if that same setup could be flush fit for hunting with mag A, while allowing for higher capacity mags B for range days.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts