6.5 prc with eldx on game

abdul-hannan

Been thinking about loading eldx in 6.5 prc. Was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with this combo. How did it perform on game? Thanks!

I have seen 7 critters killed this year with the PRC / ELD-X combo. From what I have seen that combo is a very effective killer. Ranges from 80, 350,& 525 on blacktail to 1008 on the mule deer. 365 yards and 660 yards on 200-250# hogs. The ELD-X does separate from the jacket leaving lots of fragments and in some instances severe bloodshot. It puts them down hard though. Most DRT.

I have seen 7 critters killed this year with the PRC / ELD-X combo. From what I have seen that combo is a very effective killer. Ranges from 80, 350,& 525 on blacktail to 1008 on the mule deer. 365 yards and 660 yards on 200-250# hogs. The ELD-X does separate from the jacket leaving lots of fragments and in some instances severe bloodshot. It puts them down hard though. Most DRT.
My wife took a whitetail and I took and Axis and a hog with ELD-Xs in a PRC, all DRT.

The little 40lbs hog caught the bullet on the far side hide and there wasn't much left of the bullet with a complete cup/core separation.

In comparison, at the same time, my dad took about the same size hog with a 120Gn SST in a Creedmore. The hog was DRT but the bullet passed through leaving a nice large exit hole.

The PRC is my wife's Elk gun, so do you think the ELD-X is good enough for elk out to 350 or would a bonded/mono bullet be better?

I feel like the ELD-X would do a fine job on elk out to 350. Like everything else it's shot placement. I am not sure / haven't seen what that ELD-X does on heavy elk bone or shoulder blade. You mentioned the cup and core separation which is exactly what we experienced. That would be my concern on a heavy bone impact.

I agree, I think it would do fine on and Elk and that's what she took into the woods this last season. Unfortunately we didn't get to test the theory.

However, after looking at the bullet in the hog, im think im going with something a little more sturdy for Elk (AB, ABLR or LRX). I don't think it's necessary, but more of an insurance policy if she clips the shoulder.

We will continue to use the ELD-X for deer, and pronghorn, since I really liked the performance on the smaller animals we've taken with it so far.

Of those 3 I think the LRX (or other mono) would be good. You can do some more research but I think that the ABLR may act similarly to the ELD-X though I have no first hand experience with them.

Been thinking about loading eldx in 6.5 prc. Was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with this combo. How did it perform on game? Thanks!
My Grandson made, 3 One shot Kills, on Deer from 220 to 465 Yards with his PRC 65 and the 143's ,. one or, two Hops and DRT !
All Bullets were under the far side Hide or, complete, Pass thru's.
I am so impressed with, the ELD-X's Penetration and Mushrooms at ALL Distances / Velocities that, I will use this Bullet, in my 6.5 Creed for Deer and possibly, on an Elk at, UNDER, 500 ish Yards. With an Explosive " Mushrooming" Tip and .037 thou Thick, Copper "Shank" what's not, to Like ?

Last edited:
@ElCidAviator
If 350 is as far as she will be shooting for elk, they very greatly in size from yearlings to herd bulls.
In the 6.5 caliber I would not use an eldx for elk at those ranges if I could acquire something along the lines of a conventional bullet like the 140 Partition if I wanted a copper/lead bullet.

My Grandson made, 3 One shot Kills, on Deer from 220 to 465 Yards with his PRC 65 and the 143's one or, two Hops and DRT !
I am so impressed with, the ELD-X's Penetration and Mushrooms at ALL Distances / Velocities that, I will use this Bullet, in my 6.5 Creed for Deer and possibly, on an Elk at, UNDER,.. 500 ish.
But then again
Maybe I'm wrong

Last edited:
Cup / Core, separations, used to Worry me a lot, but my son and I have done, a chit Ton of, Bullet Testing, in wet Paper ( OSB Board in front ) and Gelatin Blocks and have found that, the Lead "core" will usually be, next to / CLOSE to, the Jacket at, the far end of, the wound channel so, I no longer, worry about it.
After putting, a 140 Berger, Classic Hunter bullet, thru BOTH Shoulder Blades of, an Elk, @ 3,185 FPS out of, my .270 WSM, this Fall, SOME "Fragmentation", doesn't, worry me !
Squeezed the Trigger ,.. Heels and Hooves !

Last edited: