6.5 PRC with Berger 144 Hybrid

SteveBurton

Formerly 'Jackmonkey'
Has anyone loaded the 144 Hybrids in the 6.5 PRC yet? Wondering which powder I should go with. This is what I have available. I have several more pounds of Retumbo and H1000 that are same lots.
I have a CA Ridgeline which has a 24" barrel with 8 twist. Using Hornady brass and 210M primers. I will be mainly going after Coues and Whitetail. If the opportunity presents itself I will take a Coyote and/or Mountain Lion. My hunting will be in PA and AZ so elevation is 1300 to 2800 feet. Temps range from high teens to high 70's. Ranges will be from 30 to 700 yards. I have checked Berger's stability app and the 144 is GTG. Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.
IMG_6059.JPG

I would go with the H1000. Don't understand the comment about these being a poor choice. As far as I know, they haven't been out long enough to shoot an animal with them yet. But, I did read that they are more pointed (smaller meplat) and that would make me want to do some testing before I shot an animal with them. Just because they are marked "Target" doesn't mean they won't work. The 215gr. .30 cal bullet is a "target hybrid" and they've taken hundreds of animals just fine. Let us know your testing results. I'm thinking about them too as I don't want to jump all the way to the 156 and my 140VLD's shoot really well already.

I would go with the H1000. Don't understand the comment about these being a poor choice. As far as I know, they haven't been out long enough to shoot an animal with them yet. But, I did read that they are more pointed and that would make me want to do some testing before I shot an animal with them. Just because they are marked "Target" doesn't mean they won't work. The 215gr. .30 cal bullet is a "target hybrid" and they've taken hundreds of animals just fine. Let us know your testing results. I'm thinking about them too as I don't want to jump all the way to the 156 and my 140VLD's shoot really well already.
They are a poor choice because they have little to no hollow point, Unlike the other hybrids which had a larger hollow point. I have shot a few critters with them and they do nothing but pencil through.

They are a poor choice because they have little to no hollow point, Unlike the other hybrids which had a larger hollow point. I have shot a few critters with them and they do nothing but pencil through.

I do plan to run a drill bit in the hollow point like I do with other Bergers. Are there any other reasons that you do not like them?

I do plan to run a drill bit in the hollow point like I do with other Bergers. Are there any other reasons that you do not like them?

ive heard of people doing this but never tried it, my concern/question is how do you know you're getting the exact same depth while drilling out?

That's pretty much what I said my concern would be. What did you shoot with them?

There is a hollow spot before the lead starts. Insert drill bit only down to where you touch lead. Make sense?

yup makes sense just seems it would be kinda difficult to be perfectly consistent. But I guess no less consistent then when some of them have that little bit of wax in there and some don't

Has any one had their hands on Tubb's bullet nose cutter yet? It seems like that would be the perfect solution for making these closed tipped bullets into hunting bullets...

Are you planning on making the top bigger? That would be my main concern. As most problems with Berger could more than likely be attributed to that. So if you reduce the hole size even smaller even if it clean you may have issues. Or maybe it would open just the right amount and not expand as bad as most Berger. Either way for those distances you have lots of good options. With the PRC and those distances why not go lighter faster for less drop?
I switched my 6.5 creed to the 124hammers because 600 was my set limit on that. Great choice.
Not trying to be confrontational just curios is all. Someone gotta be first to try them might as well be you.